Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by ffutures »

OK, I think that sort of qualifies because you have a living bit of clothing that's important to the plot, and it's the fifth answer so the ball is in your court.

Regarding my hints (and the one I mentioned much earlier)

The TV show that had an episode about an invisibility suit was Castle, I forget the episode title. It's a crime show, but they've had several episodes with SF themes including one instance of time travel which appeared to be genuine, unless it was later explained away in another episode I missed.

1970s British novel about an alien world where fashion is integral to social status
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garments_of_Caean

A 21st century Japanese anime television series in part inspired by the above
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_la_Kill

An episode of a 1960s TV SF series set in the 21st century - the main protagonist of the episode (usually appearing in more secondary roles in the
series) is an aristocratic supermodel, and this profession is integral to the plot of the episode.
https://thunderbirds.fandom.com/wiki/Al ... ckenbacker
(Actually I was remembering this one slightly wrong - Brains is probably as important to the plot as Lady Penelope, although it does revolve around a revolutionary new fabric and attempts to steal the formula.)
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

OK then, let's try another essential aspect of living in the future: shelter.

Name five unique self-constructed dwelling/habitation arrangements from sci-fi settings. Self-constructed meaning that at least one of the humans (or other creatures) that live there took an active role in the construction or assembly of it.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

The manmade atolls from waterworld
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Do we see them building an atoll, or is it just assumed? I never watched that film.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The specially bred Iszic trees in Jack Vance's The Houses of Iszm are grown into self-contained living spaces, with plumbing, food, etc. provided.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Iszic trees are an excellent answer. A similar, and therefore no longer qualified, answer would be the trees in Leo Frankowski's novel Copernick's Rebellion, wherein trees are bio-engineered to rapidly grow and form inner living areas complete with organic appliances and furniture (dishwashers that lick dishes clean, toilets that absorb waste, etc.).
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

In Brice Sterling's Schismatrix, Kitsune, the head of the Geisha Bank, eventually becomes the "Wallmother", a giant sentient organic habitat in the asteroid belt massing over 400,000 tons.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

I suppose being the habitat qualifies as being actively involved. So that’s two - or three, if we count Waterworld’s atolls.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Larklight, home of the Mumby family; a house orbiting the moon in Philip Reeve's Larklight, or the Revenge of the White Spiders! or to Saturn's Rings and Back!. Basically a moderately sized Victorian house in space, in an alternate Victorian world with interplanetary travel, aliens, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larklight
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Who built Larklight?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

The Mumby family, though that goes back a LONG way in time.
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Accepted then, and thanks for sharing that one, had never heard of it before. We just need one or two more now.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, yet another from James White's Sector General series; one of the series regular characters is Major O'Mara, the hospital's chief psychologist. He got involved in the project at the very beginning, as a construction worker building the hospital station, and ended up becoming a psychologist more or less involuntarily, since he had an instinctive knack for it. For most of the series he effectively runs the place.

And one from the comics - the base/mechanism Doctor Manhattan builds telekinetically on Mars in The Watchmen.

https://youtu.be/cGl_if3tXBc

or if you prefer it have an unauthorized musical version

https://youtu.be/LBYI0kSpUxo
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Sector General sounds like an interesting read. In any event, that makes at least five answers, so the next round is yours.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, let's try a change of pace. Let's have five SF works (books, comics, movies, TV, whatever) where photography is important to the plot. I'm looking for characters working as photographers, stories where a photograph is vital evidence, etc. etc. By photography I specifically mean still images, not film or video. And to make it a little harder I'm excluding Peter Parker and Jimmy Olsen and their work. You can use other Marvel / DC examples if you like.

As usual, only one example per creator / universe, e.g. if Harry Potter was SF you could use the camera melted by a basilisk's stare as an example, but could not then use other examples from this setting such as the animated photos of Sirius Black on wanted posters.