spinning ship model in Status screen

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

spinning ship model in Status screen

Post by dybal »

Hi, folks!

I configured show-ship-model-in-status-screen in GNUstepDefaults.

When I run a downloaded nightly it shows the spinning model, but when I binary I build locally (with the pkg-posix-nightly make target), it doesn't (but it shows the spinning model in the savefile load screen)

I must be doing something wrong... is there a build parameter that has to be set? (like the one ins config.make)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: spinning ship model in Status screen

Post by another_commander »

Does the .GNUstepDefaults corresponding to your build contain the entry show-ship-model-in-status-screen = YES; ? There are no special requirements in the code, the feature is included in a standard build and the only thing we are looking for is that key in .GNUstepDefaults.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

another_commander wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:00 pm
Does the .GNUstepDefaults corresponding to your build contain the entry show-ship-model-in-status-screen = YES; ? There are no special requirements in the code, the feature is included in a standard build and the only thing we are looking for is that key in .GNUstepDefaults.
Here it is:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//GNUstep//DTD plist 0.9//EN" "http://www.gnustep.org/plist-0_9.xml">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
    <key>NSGlobalDomain</key>
    <dict>
    </dict>
    <key>oolite</key>
    <dict>
|        <key>Jade&apos;s Sabre-humbletrash</key>
        <integer>-25496</integer>
        <key>Jameson-humbletrash</key>
        <integer>-29624</integer>
        <key>Solo-humbletrash</key>
        <integer>5592</integer>
        <key>Vader-humbletrash</key>
        <integer>11592</integer>
        <key>debug-settings-override</key>
        <dict>
        </dict>
        <key>display_height</key>
        <integer>1080</integer>
        <key>display_refresh</key>
        <integer>0</integer>
        <key>display_width</key>
        <integer>2048</integer>
       <key>flight-arrow-key-precision-factor</key>
        <real>0.2</real>
        <key>fov-value</key>
        <real>64.7</real>
        <key>fullscreen</key>
        <string>NO</string>
        <key>gamma-value</key>
        <real>1</real>
        <key>music mode</key>
        <string>on</string>
        <key>save-directory</key>
        <string>/home/dybal/oolite-saves/tmp</string>
        <key>show-ship-model-in-status-screen</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
        <key>volume_control</key>
       <real>0.25</real>
        <key>window_height</key>
        <integer>1416</integer>
        <key>window_width</key>
        <integer>2560</integer>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>
It was the same for both runs, the downloaded nightly and the localy built (and I know both read it because both offered files to load from the correct directory - defined by save-directory entry).

Could any static-linked library affect the display of the model in Status screen but not the one in savefile Load screen?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I don't think any static libraries have any involvement. The only thing I can suggest is changing the key to this:

<key>show-ship-model-in-status-screen</key>
<string>YES</string>
The only other boolean in your .GNUstepDefaults is the fullscreen one and that is using a string type, so if that works for you, maybe a string type will also work for the ship model in the status screen. Perhaps the gnustep library in your home built nightly is not the same as that of the official nightly and maybe they handle input data types differently. It is a long shot but easy to try, so give it a go and hope for the best
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

It didn't work, and I already tried boolean.

Weird...
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

When I build locally, oolite looks for the default user settings in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/oolite.plist

The downloaded nightly looks for ~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults

The file that works with the nightly has this structure:

<plist>
<dict>
	<dict>
	</dict>
	<key>oolite</key>
	<dict>
			====settings here====
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>
The file that works with the local build has this structure:

<plist>
<dict>
	<dict>
	</dict>
	<key>oolite</key>
	<dict>
			==== joystick settings (unvalidated, I don't have a joystick in this machine) =====
	</dict>
	=======settings here (validated,show-ship-model-in-status-screen here produced results) =========
</dict>
</plist>
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Looks like you have a different gnustep-base version installed in your system to what the Oolite nightly is using. Do you know which version you have? The nightlies use gnustep-base version 1.20.1.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dybal »

another_commander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:20 am
Looks like you have a different gnustep-base version installed in your system to what the Oolite nightly is using. Do you know which version you have? The nightlies use gnustep-base version 1.20.1.

ii  gnustep-back-common                                         0.26.2-3                                         amd64        GNUstep GUI Backend - common files
ii  gnustep-back0.26                                            0.26.2-3                                         all          GNUstep GUI Backend
ii  gnustep-back0.26-cairo                                      0.26.2-3                                         amd64        GNUstep GUI Backend (cairo)
ii  gnustep-base-common                                         1.25.1-2ubuntu3                                  all          GNUstep Base library - common files
ii  gnustep-base-runtime                                        1.25.1-2ubuntu3                                  amd64        GNUstep Base library - daemons and tools
ii  gnustep-common                                              2.7.0-3                                          amd64        Common files for the core GNUstep environment
ii  gnustep-core-devel                                          7.9                                              all          GNUstep Development Environment -- core libraries
ii  gnustep-devel                                               7.9                                              all          GNUstep Development Environment -- development tools
ii  gnustep-gui-common                                          0.26.2-3                                         all          GNUstep GUI Library - common files
ii  gnustep-gui-runtime                                         0.26.2-3                                         amd64        GNUstep GUI Library - runtime files
ii  gnustep-make                                                2.7.0-3                                          all          GNUstep build system
ii  libgnustep-base-dev                                         1.25.1-2ubuntu3                                  amd64        GNUstep Base header files and development libraries
ii  libgnustep-base1.25                                         1.25.1-2ubuntu3                                  amd64        GNUstep Base library
ii  libgnustep-gui-dev                                          0.26.2-3                                         amd64        GNUstep GUI header files and static libraries
ii  libgnustep-gui0.26                                          0.26.2-3                                         amd64        GNUstep GUI Library

Yes, I do... but the nightlies work, that's why I asked about static libraries... but perhaps there are some macros in the include files that changed from 1.20 to 1.25.

I will see if I can get 1.20.1 for my distro

Thanks!