Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! Combat is slightly tougher as the AI is much improved. Pick your fights, learn when to run.
Sometimes, there are queues, but not always. Are you using the docking computer, or doing it the proper way - manually?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Scotty
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Scotty »

Manually, docking computers are too slow and once you've got the hang of lining up with the left hand view it's quicker to do it yourself. But the queuing system seems pointless - more realistic but adds nothing to game play and you have to keep an eye on the screens to find out when you get clearance, so no chance to make a cup of tea.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Scotty wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:59 am
[...] But the queuing system seems pointless - more realistic but adds nothing to game play and you have to keep an eye on the screens to find out when you get clearance, so no chance to make a cup of tea.
You can always disable it by selecting "Docking Clearance Protocol: Off" in your menu. You'll still have to carefully eyeball the status of the letter box when you'll be trying to dock, though.
Scotty
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Scotty »

Ah, hadn't seen that. Thank you.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander_X wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:09 am
You can always disable it by selecting "Docking Clearance Protocol: Off" in your menu.
Time was, it was disabled by default. Ah, those were the days - no 5k fines for jumping the queue to meet a deadline!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends.

Have been away for several months due to the seemingly never ending complications of moving. Had to pack up the old place on my own, deciding what to keep, what to sell, what to donate, and what to trash. The kept items went into storage. Relatives were burdened with my presence for a few months until a new dwelling could be found. Very little time and even less computer access during that period as the home search took priority. As Ben Franklin once said "Fish and visitors both begin to stink after three days." Was a bit of a bother to my very amiable and forgiving relatives for much longer than those three days. Searched about a bit and finally found a very nice and affordable home close by a few of those relatives. Whether they will continue to speak to me is another matter entirely. Closed on this place a few weeks ago and have been moving in ever since. Still a lot to do here in the new home but the basics are up and running including my computer. Should be back to regular visits soon enough as the list of things to do grows shorter every day.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Glad to see you back, Nite Owl - hope the rest of the move goes smoothly!
HupyNor
Harmless
Harmless

Post by HupyNor »

Hello,
I'm an old fart from Northern your'up. Never seen Oolite until two weeks ago. Last time I played Elite in any way was back in the day when it was published for C64. After that... many years doing other things like studying, working, getting married, having kids.
Now life is happy again XD.
Many thanks to everyone making this possible. Cheers and happy hunting!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
Redeyemist
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Redeyemist »

Hey I'm new to the game how to enable the add on in the game with out an internet connection?
I downloaded and transferred the files to the add ons folder but can't figure out how to add the ingame.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome Redeyemist to the Oolite community and "the friendliest board this side of Riedquat"!

If you put an OXZ file into your AddOns folder then just start the game and it will work. For a proof download the
Start Advice which display this advice screen right after you start a new game.

But if you downloaded an OXP (the old format before OXZ) then you must unzip it first, please read more in the wiki.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Hi Redeyemist, HupyNor et.al.

Welcome!

Redeyemist, if Norby's explanation doesn't help you out then perhaps you can explain in more detail exactly what you've tried.
Good luck!
rchlclr
Harmless
Harmless

Post by rchlclr »

Hi everybody! I just rediscovered Oolite this week and I'm having a blast, so I wanted to thank you all for keeping it going!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi rchlclr, welcome to the boards!
Alyinsanfran
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Alyinsanfran »

Hello all, I’m a little late to the Oolite party. It’s been sitting on my MacBook Air for years but I’ve never found the time to dig into it properly. Being stuck inside has fixed that problem!

A little history: I’m 50 (2020) and first played Elite on a BBC Model B around 1985 or so. I was a ‘monitor’ for our high school computer room in New Zealand, so had more access than most students to the computers. My home computer at the time was a Sega SC3000 (previously a ZX81).

Elite blew my mind. Nobody has seen anything like it. Between Elite and Revs I was a happy camper. Later on when I got my C64 at home I continued to play it, but tapered off because my (ahem, alternatively acquired) library had grown so much (Paradroid!).

My Atari STe brought me Frontier, but that became a little frustrating with the abysmal frame rate when planet-side.

So I found Oolite many years ago but it just sat there on my Mac, mocking me. We all know how much time it takes to pick up the controls - time I didn’t have.

Now I’ve been playing for around 5 days. I’ve got Fuel Injectors, a Docking Computer, Space Compass, Fuel Scoops, ECM, Multi Targeting System, Large Cargo Bay and Forward and Aft Beam Lasers.

I’ve got 7,500 in cash and haven’t fired a single shot yet, so now I’ve built up my Cobra MkIII it may be time to go play.

Hope you are all staying healthy, and apologies for my verbosity!