Mysterious Permission Dialogues

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

GearsNSuch
Dangerous
Dangerous

Mysterious Permission Dialogues

Post by GearsNSuch »

So, for whatever reason, periodically, a system message box pops up stating that Oolite is asking for permission to access Contacts or Calendar or something of the sort. Would anyone happen to know why this is happening? It’s really not a problem and has been happening ever since I started Oolite, but I am curious as to its cause. Thank you!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Mysterious Permission Dialogues

Post by phkb »

I think this might be a Mac-specific issue, as I've never seen that sort of message on any instance of a Windows release.

The Mac build has some integration with iTunes for using song-lists in some parts of gameplay (eg docking). AFAIK, this is the only Mac-only component in the source, and to my mind would be the only chance for any sort of system permission issue. But I don't have access to a Mac, so I'm just speculating.

Have any other Mac users seen this sort of message? What version Mac OS are you running? It would be interesting to hear from Mac users who haven't seen this message as well.
GearsNSuch
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Mysterious Permission Dialogues

Post by GearsNSuch »

I should have clarified— it is a Mac-specific issue. I have seen it on High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina on two separate machines.
I think you hit the nail on the head though— it’s probably an issue with iTunes integration.