Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Some questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hangar181
Average
Average

Some questions

Post by hangar181 »

Hi All, back again after about a 5 year absence. Playing on the MAC and fallen in love with oolite all over again but have a few questions which the search couldn't help with...

1. Is it even possible to dodge lasers...I read on here some can do it by rolling and pitching but it doesn't seem to make the blindest bit of difference to me. I just get zapped to smithereens so I find the only 2 options are to outrun the AI or simply get in nice and close and outmanoeuvre them.

2. I've downloaded a few OXPs but is it possible to reduce the number of CPU ships with witch space fuel injectors. I find over 80% of them have them and run. I'd like to locate the piece of code that sets up ship layouts and modify it myself but don't know where to look. Am playing on the Mac.

3. How to tell if someone has a bounty? I know from the MFD rotation thing it specifies all ships in the vicinity but its really hard in the heat of battle to tell if there are 3 Cobra Mk1s say and one has 30cr, if the one I'm locked onto is the one with the bounty.

4. Derelict ships...I;ve towed about 5 and received between 1000-3000CR for salvage but the message says "your ship no 5", which implies its lying in storage somewhere for me to repair and use. I just presumed its an "lost in translation english thing and that the derelict ship has been scrapped for salvage and is no more. Can anyone confirm?

Many thanks!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Some questions

Post by phkb »

Welcome back, commander!
hangar181 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:53 am
Is it even possible to dodge lasers...I read on here some can do it by rolling and pitching but it doesn't seem to make the blindest bit of difference to me. I just get zapped to smithereens so I find the only 2 options are to outrun the AI or simply get in nice and close and outmanoeuvre them.
Those are the two primary methods. I find using a bit of injector speed can also throw off their aim a bit.
is it possible to reduce the number of CPU ships with witch space fuel injectors.
This one is a bit trickier. Ship OXP's will have a "shipdata.plist" file in the "Config" folder. In this file, you should find entries like "has_fuel_injection = ". This could have values like "yes" or "1" (meaning "always") or "0.5" (meaning 50% of the time) or "0.2" (meaning 20% of the time). If you change them all to "0" or "no", you'll eliminate any ship variations getting fuel injectors. Note, though, that doing this won't eliminate all ships with injectors, as core ships will have them defined.
How to tell if someone has a bounty?
The easiest way is to install the [EliteWiki] Scanner Targeting Enhancement, which will tell you if the ship currently targeted is "Clean" ie no bounty, "Offender" (bounty > 0 and < 50) or "Fugitive" (bounty > 50).
Derelict ships...I;ve towed about 5 and received between 1000-3000CR for salvage but the message says "your ship no 5"
Sounds like a question for the Towbar OXP thread.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

2. I've downloaded a few OXPs but is it possible to reduce the number of CPU ships with witch space fuel injectors. I find over 80% of them have them and run. I'd like to locate the piece of code that sets up ship layouts and modify it myself but don't know where to look. Am playing on the Mac.
You can try my Lucky Charm: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19027

It is available from the download manager.
hangar181
Average
Average

Post by hangar181 »

Awesome, thx guys!
stranger
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by stranger »

Hi All, back again after about a 5 year absence...
Welcome, commander!
1. Is it even possible to dodge lasers...
Barrel roll works fine for me. Any inpredictable flight path will work too.