Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Grindalf, welcome to the boards. Hotmail addresses shouldn't be a problem, unless they have multiple . . in them … anyway, glad you made it!

When you say "improve playability", what sort of thing are you looking for? Off the cuff, because docking is often challenging for new players, I'd recommend something like [EliteWiki] Delightful Docking - it slows down station rotation and makes docking less of a nerve-shredder, and [EliteWiki] Neo-docklights helps as well.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Hi Grindalf, welcome. For me, playability is linked to enjoying the visuals, e.g. BGS. In addition I like to have missions, most OXZs in that category are part of my game.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Hi Grindalf and welcome :)

Re playability, as the others have said, it depends what you mean.
I've finally decided that one of my oxps is good enough (and applicable enough) to actively recommend (see the link in my 'signature' below) as it reduces time spent 'waiting' in game.
It certainly improves playability for me but for others it might be addressing a non-issue or even be undesirable.

There are also the lists of recommendations from various players but again, consensus is a rare beast. The beauty of oxps is that you can take them or leave them according to taste and that is a very personal thing. I would advise however that you don't install more at once than you can keep track of or else it can be difficult to work out which oxp is causing what.

If you can specify an 'issue' then lots of folks here will be keen to help you find an oxp to suit - or if you're lucky, even make one for you.

Have fun!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'll throw [EliteWiki] Navigation MFD and [EliteWiki] Randomshipnames_OXP into the sombrero.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Nicksta
Average
Average

Post by Nicksta »

Greetings, pilots.

My username is over there. I only noticed this thread after writing my third post on this forum. I do that a lot.

Oolite is my current gaming addiction. My previous one was Stardew Valley.

I have been playing the game harmlessly since the 1.88 release. I tried a few earlier versions in previous years, but didn't try the OXPs until recently. I now have over 90 OXPs installed and written one of my own, which I hope to release shortly.

I'm not good at finishing posts like this, so... um... dock safely, I guess.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Hi Nicksta and welcome,

90, oxps is a fair few but if it works, it works, right? :-)

Looking forward to seeing what your oxp does.

Have fun.
RogerSena
Harmless
Harmless

Post by RogerSena »

Greetings pilots!

I'm not great at talking about myself, then I'll just go ahead and try it: Elite was my favorite game back in 1987 when I used to play it on my old MSX using only the keyboard. I just downloaded Oolite two days ago and could not help but feel nostalgic! Great work guys!

Unfortunately I'm not being able to play it as smoothly as I remember. At first I thought it was just my three decades of accumulated rust, but then I realized the keyboard controls are not working the same way as they used to back in the old days. I don't know if anyone else is having this same struggle.

I tried some searches for "keyboard sensitivity" and stuff like that but came out empty handed. So I noticed a pack called "Reverse Control" that simulates an inertial effect when you reverse pitch or roll. Then I started to analyze it to see if I can make any modifications to affect pitch and roll not only when reversing directions but also to "retard" response when initiating movements from a rest state. My goal was to cause a gradual and non-linear response to the keyboard controls, allowing for a "fine tuned" pitch and roll when just pressing a key for a brief moment but achieving full response after some milliseconds. I understand this script is relying on some "Frame Callback" function, but I was thinking about something more direct like some kind of keyboard event to intercept keystrokes (could be native or from some expansion library).

I couldn't find out if someone else already did what I'm intending. In order to at least try anything here, I know I'll need more time to get acquainted with the Oolite object model first. I would also need to setup a development environment to debug the script, but my free time is very limited. So, could any of you guys please help me and point me in the right direction? I believe I would just need some general tips from another developer who has an OXZ development environment working.

Thank you all and good tradings!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander!
mike1six
Poor
Poor

Post by mike1six »

Hello all! Old member here, used to go by Rese249er. Been a while, but I am back.
RogerSena wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm
I tried some searches for "keyboard sensitivity" and stuff like that but came out empty handed.
The first time I started playing I had a similar problem, without the background of playing the game. A few folks gave me some tips on how to tweak the numbers for the ship I was flying, but then a surprising thing (to me) happened after a bit. Someone actually added Ctrl as a button to hold down for slower, finer maneuvering. Think that's what you're looking for. Not sure if that's still in the game, I signed up while downloading the game, but it's worth a shot!
Cody

Post by Cody »

mike1six wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:53 pm
Hello all! Old member here, used to go by Rese249er. Been a while, but I am back.
Welcome back, Commander - good to see you!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

RogerSena wrote:
Greetings pilots!
Welcome RogerSena! :)

mike1six wrote:
And welcome back Rese... er, mike1six :)
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

Hello everyone again, returning member here, still ever so happy that I can play elite on a mac, with a joystick, and in full colour with multichannel sound.

Finally it seems that a modern computer can game almost as well as an old 8 bit.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

phonebook wrote:
Hello everyone again
Welcome back, phonebook!
hijong park
Above Average
Above Average

Post by hijong park »

Hi, I'm Hijong Park who is having a hard time to enjoy Oolite. I like space and spaceships, so I want to like oolite, but simply can't. everything feels tedious and frustrating...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Hijong Park, welcome to the boards! As a game based on a 1984 original, Oolite can be tough on beginners, but hopefully we can help. What are you struggling with, in particular?