Issues with random explosions and issues with speed

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Issues with random explosions and issues with speed

Post by kcallis »

I am running version 1.88 on my Dell Lattiude E6330 with 8G of RAM and 1 TB HD running Arch Linux. I know that I am really working Oolite because I have 386 add-on and I am running full details on a HD 4000 graphic card, but there are some issues that I can not understand to save me life (or my commander's). I start Oolite as the only app running, which immediately drops from 8G to about less than a gig of RAM. I am able to do maybe 4 or 5 missions and then things go wonky. For instance, I press F1 for departure, and I heard a bang, and as soon as I exit the hanger door, I immediately explode or even if I did not explode, all of my equipment is damage. If I make it back to a station (and I use the cheat mode to fix all of my equipment), more often than not as soon as I depart, explosion and game over.

Another issue is that randomly, I exit out of witchspace and even if I have the throttle disengaged, this ship is moving super fast, and I am not able to slow it down. Instead of the normal 3-5 minutes to get to a station, I am there in about 10 seconds. Even if I were to try and break off my approach to the station and head toward for instance, a ship to engage, I am moving to too fast to do anything except watch the ship blow past me. If I do make it into a station, 9 times out of 10, when I exit, explosion and game over.

I have checked to make sure that the Intel graphic drivers are installed, I have did everything that I can think of to solve these problems and to no avail. I guess that I could remove add-ons, but doing that drops my interests i playing the game. I know that Oolite is a memory resource hog, but there should be no reason that an app should consume all of the available memory which I am sure is causing some of the problems.

If any one has a suggestion I would be very appreciative.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Issues with random explosions and issues with speed

Post by phkb »

That is sounding like an OXP conflict. Are you able to do some testing with none installed? Also, if you could post your log file after one of the specific events you mention we might be able to help track down the conflict.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Not completely sure about it, but the memory drop looks like the system might be committing RAM for use as video memory. Combined with an excessive number of OXPs, this could increase memory requirements substantially, especially if there is a lot of demanding OXPs installed.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Adding to what another_commander suggested you might try increasing the size of your page file, swap file, or whatever it is referred to under Linux. Mine is set at a ridiculously large size for many reasons and Oolite uses close to 100MB of it on occasion with 300+ OXZ's installed. How you would go about increasing the size of said file under Linux is unknown to me as a Windows user. Google is your friend in such matters.

Adding to what phkb suggested the Latest Log is certainly the way to go when looking to resolve problems in Oolite. If the Latest Log does not make sense to you do not worry about it. Post it here on the boards and someone will give you a good idea of what might be going on. Been personally fighting a battle with unrooted timers for a while now and have yet to resolve them all but Mr. Latest Log has at least given me enough insight as to what is happening and where to look.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

I removed all of the add-on and methodically installing add-ons. I actually have 5G allocated for swap, although for some reason Oolite does't really put that big of a hit on swap. I was going to add the log, but found out that the Latest.log was over 2M (strike that, with the reduction of add-on [from 392 to 276], the size is ONLY 1.5M now).