Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Assassins Guild OXP - Beta

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Sorry about that I didn't know! :oops:

I'll upload a new version tomorrow as from memory (at work at the moment)! The texture files end in PNG (in caps), but in planetinfo end png (in lower case). Could you do a quick fix by opening up the textures foulder of the OXP and renaming hitsplanet8 so the PNG is png, as that'll test that this is the problem.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

LittleBear wrote:
Sorry about that I didn't know! :oops:

I'll upload a new version tomorrow as from memory (at work at the moment)! The texture files end in PNG (in caps), but in planetinfo end png (in lower case). Could you do a quick fix by opening up the textures foulder of the OXP and renaming hitsplanet8 so the PNG is png, as that'll test that this is the problem.
Yep, that's what i already have done, works fine now..
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Be warned, I added planets Gas Giants and moons to a lot of G7 Systems, so you'd need to fix hitsplanets1 to 13 to stop crashes! (Or download the new version tomorrow) :wink:

EDIT : As you are in G7, I'm assuming you got the message from the Guild asking you to kill the rodent Be Soin! Did the pic in the background to the mission breifing come up OK?

Could you go and kill the Rodent? It's just that if the case sensitive problem only effects planets, then it is a quick hack to fix the planet textures. If the problem also applies to ships (as the OXP has 30 odd new ships many with sub-entires), it is a bit of a pain to search and replace these as well!

Could you fix hitsplanet1 and then go and kill the rodent? If Oolite crashes when the rodent's ship comes up, then I guess I'll have to check all the ship texture entries. :( If you can kill Be Soin in his vintage adder ok, then it is just the planet textures I have to rename! Thanks.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

I've posted a B6 on Oosat. This is the same as B5, but has the .png in planetinfo changed to .PNG. That should fix the case sensitivity problem. No need to update to this if on PC or Mac. This only seemed to cause a problem on Unix.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Uhhhm, LB. I just tried to download Assassins.oxp from your siggy but all I get is 'Access denied You are not authorised to access this page.'. I was logged onto Oosat-ETO at the time.

Help?

Captain Hesperus
"This is the sort of problem they invented Hardheads for..."
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Sorry, whenever an Update is posted (like I did this afternoon), the link is closed until Winston updates Oosat. (This applies to all OXPs). Give it a few hours or a day or two (depending on when Winston next looks at his inbox) and the link will work again. The message you are getting just indicates that the "node" where Assassins is stored on Oosat is being updated. As a developer I can upload an update to Oosat, but as Winston is the Moderator, he has to Ok it before it appears!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Until the Oosat link is updated, you can download the Assassins Guild OXP at this link :-

http://www.box.net/public/p6la040l8t

or just click the "or click here link" on my sig! :wink:
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Got it!

Now, to go and do death unto them...... :twisted:

Captain Hesperus
"Kill them! Kill them all......Waddaya mean the Mili-laser's been disconnected for cleaning?!?!?!?"
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

Are you meant to be able to buy vintage adders? I'm in Galaxy 1, haven't done any of the missions, and they're showing up in the shipyard.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Yeah- The Soin Shipyards Vintage Adder is available to the player (as is the Mongoose Fighter and The Nemesis). The ships can be bought whether you have completed the missions or not (as there is no way in shipyard.plist to specify that a ship is only offered once a condition has been met). You won't however see NPCs in any OXP ships unless you are doing the mission that they feature in.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

I have a problem with the Hockey Team mission in Assassins.

I meet and see off the minders but never find the team.

I fixed one problem with the texture file - needed to be all upper case, this showed up in the debug info. However, still no Hockey Team.

I am running Oolite v6 under Debian Sid (Unstable), launching from a shell. Will be quite happy to turn on debugging if somebody tells me how.

This is the debugging info when I warp into the Tiared system.
2006-12-04 09:56:30.196 oolite[4531] Populating a system with economy 4, and government 7
2006-12-04 09:56:30.196 oolite[4531] ... adding 6 trading vessels
2006-12-04 09:56:30.196 oolite[4531] ... adding 1 sun skimming vessels
2006-12-04 09:56:30.197 oolite[4531] ... adding 1 pirate vessels
2006-12-04 09:56:30.197 oolite[4531] ... adding 0 sun skim pirates
2006-12-04 09:56:30.197 oolite[4531] ... adding 5 law/bounty-hunter vessels
2006-12-04 09:56:30.198 oolite[4531] ... adding 1 sun skim law/bounty hunter vessels
2006-12-04 09:56:30.198 oolite[4531] ... adding 0 Thargoid warships
2006-12-04 09:56:30.198 oolite[4531] ... adding 2 asteroid clusters
2006-12-04 09:56:30.199 oolite[4531] ... for a total of 16 ships
2006-12-04 09:56:30.825 oolite[4531] SCRIPT debug messages ON
2006-12-04 09:56:30.825 oolite[4531] DEBUG ::::: scriptAction: "addMoon: new_planetB"
2006-12-04 09:56:30.826 oolite[4531] DEBUG ::::: after expansion: "addMoon: new_planetB"
2006-12-04 09:56:30.827 oolite[4531] DEBUG addMoon: new_planetB
2006-12-04 09:56:30.828 oolite[4531] DEBUG initMoonFromDictionary: {orientation = "0.0 1.0 0.0 1.0"; polar_color_factor = 2.5; position = "-300000 7000 863000"; radius = 10000; rotational_velocity = 0.08; seed = "1 2 3 4 5 6"; texture = hitsplanet3.PNG; }
2006-12-04 09:56:31.042 oolite[4531] DEBUG moon position (-300000.00 7000.00 863000.00) derived from -300000 7000 863000
2006-12-04 09:56:31.043 oolite[4531] DEBUG ::::: scriptAction: "debugOff"
2006-12-04 09:56:31.044 oolite[4531] SCRIPT debug messages OFF

Help appreciated.

Thanks
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Hmm. Thats odd! The Team and their minders are added within 1km of each other and should all turn to red blips and attack you when they come in range. Have you got the lastest version (B6) - on Oosat?

B5 did have the planetinfo texture problem (as the windows and Mac versions are not case senstitive), but I changed them to PNG in caps for B6. Another improvement for B6 was oringlinally, the "Team Bus" and the Minders had a different AI, which meant you often encountered the Minders speparated from Team Bus. Can you check the version you are using by looking at the readme?

In versions 1 to 5 the Team Bus will usually be found a lot nearer the planet (but in the space lane) from where you encounter the Minders. Oringinally I had the Team Bus make a run for the planet whilst the Minders distracted you, but a lot of people complained that it was too hard to find the team! Sounds like you have an older version. If not, then try and ignore the attack and concentrate on getting an ID lock on the Team as soon as you see the group of red blips.

As a test as to weather Oolite has Added the Team Bus, if you have the cloaking device, it won't work if the "mark" is present and alive!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

davcefai wrote:
I have a problem with the Hockey Team mission in Assassins.

I meet and see off the minders but never find the team.
RHEL4, worked ok for me after i fixed planet texture filenames..
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

As far as I can tell I have B6. The readme is headed:
The Assassins Guild OXP - BETA6 V.0.370
The texture problem I had was with ZEROGTEX.PNG, it wanted to be all CAPS and wasn't. However as this was reported in the debugging info it was an easy fix.

The Cloaking Device does not work until I leave the system and then is again disabled if I jump back into the Tiared system.

In case this is relevant:
When I meet the minders all 4 turn red and I am immediately attacked - not sure by how many of them. There is no sign of s 5th ship.
I turn tail and 2 of them follow me. I can pick them off using my tail laser. The other 2 keep on heading towards the planet and I can kill them easily.

One time I let a minder survive and it simply flew into the planet and burned up.

Brilliant game and I'm dying to be able to continue it.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

The Code is working then! (You are within 10 AUs of a Mark, so the Cloak is disabled, but works again once he is dead or the two of you are no longer with 10 AUs of each other).

You just need to kill the Team. You can use an e-bomb, which will take out the minders, but the heavily shielded team bus will survive. That'll help you pick out the team from the Minders on the Scanner. Your Mark Transponder Scanner is also useful here. Target the Team and it will come up in the target box as "Guild Target : Hockey Team 5,000C".

As a test (this is cheating in the OXP!). Could you open the Shipdata file and find the entry for victim2. Add this code to the entry:-

<key>beacon</key>
<string>T-Team Bus</string>

This will give the Team Bus the Beacon T. Cycle though your advanced space compase. If the Letter T comes up, follow the T to find him!

There should be 5 ships including the Mark, but the Minders are added in a "clump" a little distance from the Mark, so it is possible that the Minders are in Scanner range and the Mark is just out of range.

The AI for all ships in this group is one of "Go to the planet and dock at the station unless we spot an Assassin, in which case attack. Attack any ship that attacks us." Another posibility is that a pirate took a shot at the Minders, so they attacked him whilst the Bus continued to the Station. Suprised a minder drove himself into the planet though, the fool!

HINT : It is best to dive into the Group and ID the mark. If you run away the group gets split up and it can then be very difficult to find them (as the Bus has a different top speed and is less nippy than the minders, once they go to attack mode.)