Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Science Fiction Trivia

Post by Norby »

ffutures wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm
Norby wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:10 pm
Then let's see five different sci-fi universes where personal teleportation is available.
The Tomorrow People (British TV series of the 70s, rebooted a couple of times)
Tiger,Tiger AKA The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester (used the word Jaunt for teleportation, which is the term used in The Tomorrow People.

Both are good, bonus points for classic era. :)

Hint: short range teleportation is also acceptable, even in parody genre.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

the obvious one... star trek
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

spud42 wrote:
the obvious one... star trek
Yes, still two more to go.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Blake's 7 also had shipboard teleporters …
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

And Larry Niven once again - humanity in Known Space (by the time of Beowulf Schaeffer in "Flatlander" and later Louis Wu in "Ringworld") had teleport booths, and the Puppeteers went one better with "stepping discs".
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

All ok and bonus points awarded for classic stories!

My clue was a pointer to this scene in Spaceballs comedy with the shortest range fixed teleport I ever seen. :)

There is a long list: Teleportation in fiction.

Malacandra is the next!
Yak_Forger
Average
Average

Post by Yak_Forger »

A little case of reality catching up with science fiction : according to this article, self-driving cars are going to become the norm within 25 years and will radically change our living conditions, be it how our daily commute to work (if we still have to leave our home to work, that is), how cities are organised, how we choose and buy houses...

I was disappointed by the year 2000 or being way too like 1999 to my tastes, but it seems like the future's catching up, with self driving cars, 3D printers, Amazon deliveries by drone...
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Malacandra wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:26 pm
And Larry Niven once again - humanity in Known Space (by the time of Beowulf Schaeffer in "Flatlander" and later Louis Wu in "Ringworld") had teleport booths, and the Puppeteers went one better with "stepping discs".
I always got the feeling the Niven wasn't happy with his teleportation. From day one, he included important issues in the description like the preservation of angular momentum - which limited the ability of a user to teleport from the pole of a planet to it's equator. On the Ring, the longitude around the ring through which an entity could travel on "stepping discs".
(This is probably more of an issue for single lump masses (like a human, or dinner) than for the single atoms or ions of H2 that travel into the fuel tanks, since some single toms can probably be shipped back to ease the strains on the system.)

Somewhere in his essays, Niven discusses the idea of limiting the number of "unobtanium"-plated plot devices in a story in order to have an interesting story. Teleportation, without limits, would mean that all "locked door" mysteries disappear ("people soon learned to put their booths out in the porch, not in the living room" to quote one of the Beowulf Schaeffer shorts). Unobtanium impervious hulls means that warfare becomes ... problematic (several of Niven's stories work out how to destroy a General Products hull without killing all witnesses). Continuous recording and unlimited computer memory means that characters will never forget a piece of data, wrecking a major plank of the "detective" story - until people "can't remember where I put that tape", or just misunderstand the lies they're told.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Sorry for the delay! I'm on holiday in sunny* Devon this week and internet access is patchy. Please give me any instance from a non-Asimov book or movie that alludes to his Laws of Robotics. Thanks!

*ha, as if.
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Charles Stross's Saturn's Children - set in a solar system populated with robots left behind after humanity has inconveniently become extinct, leaving them with no-one to serve - has Asimov's Three Laws printed inside the book, just before the opening of Part One.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

That ought to do - off you go!

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

OK: name three duels, from different SF universes. For clarity, a duel is defined here as a formalised, armed combat between two individuals, within a defined area, where both participants have (at least notionally) agreed to be there.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Disembodied wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:32 am
OK: name three duels, from different SF universes. For clarity, a duel is defined here as a formalised, armed combat between two individuals, within a defined area, where both participants have (at least notionally) agreed to be there.
Not sure if it qualifies but most lightsabre fights between Jedi and Dark Side in Star Wars come close.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

montana05 wrote:
Not sure if it qualifies but most lightsabre fights between Jedi and Dark Side in Star Wars come close.
I think, at the very least, that Obi-Wan Kenobi versus Darth Vader from the first movie would qualify as a duel. That's one.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Honor Harrington kills a professional duellist on the Field of Honour - the traditional twenty paces, turn and shoot.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!