1.86 cpu usage and power draw

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

atom_x7
Harmless
Harmless

1.86 cpu usage and power draw

Post by atom_x7 »

Hello, a call for help! Have just tried to run build 1.86 on this atom x7 over win 8.1 64 bit, but result is runaway power draw by cpu package (up to 6W, a lot for this little processor) and then inevitable thermal shutdown after about 30 seconds of runtime - cores boost to 2.4 Ghz, which is normal, and then run at ca. 50%, no slowing of the system - but W draw and temps go through the roof.

Previous oolite builds run ok - the one I currently have on this system from a certain amount of time ago is, ahem, 1.77 and that ticks along fine at around 3.7W. But pretty sure I have also previously run 1.84 on this without problems. Has anything changed with 1.86 and cpu usage management?

Many thanks, an overworked and aging Cherry Trail :D
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: 1.86 cpu usage and power draw

Post by another_commander »

atom_x7 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:44 am
Has anything changed with 1.86 and cpu usage management?
No, at least not deliberately :-).

The 1.77 build is years old and a lot changed since then in the game. It is expected that it runs with much lower requirements than the latest one. However, I would not think that anything significant has changed since 1.84. Planet shaders became more demanding for sure, but that one should be taxing more the GPU, not the CPU. So the question that remains is: are you running the same OXP package in 1.86 as in 1.84? Could you run 1.86 without any OXPs and see what happens? Some newrer OXPs might go a bit heavy on scripting, which is directly affecting CPU usage.

Another option is to try lowering the detail level and check if that has any effect on CPU temperature. Or maybe download the latest nightly 1.87 build (https://github.com/OoliteProject/nightlies/releases) and compare against that too.

Hopefully one of those options will give a hint about what is going on.