BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Cody »

I do rather like the 'ping' from F7 though. Combine that with a regular 'pulse' on the scanner, and it'd be even more submarine-like.

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

phkb wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but the sound effects that play when you go to the various function screens (eg F8) play even when in space! I think they should only play when docked. This is BGS v2.0
I guess the easiest way is to split docked/inflight behaviour. I'll add it.-) Muchas gracias.
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

Svengali wrote:
phkb wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but the sound effects that play when you go to the various function screens (eg F8) play even when in space! I think they should only play when docked. This is BGS v2.0
I guess the easiest way is to split docked/inflight behaviour. I'll add it.-) Muchas gracias.
I was just going to report the same. But here is another report: a small "bug" with the sound effects is that they cut abruptly when changing screens except for the galaxy chart with F6, which has no sound, and so for instance if you were in the market screen before hitting F6 you will continue to listen to the market chatter while staring at the galaxy chart. Perhaps for the sake of consistency it would be better to stop playing anything when changing to the galaxy chart screen. But maybe an even nicer idea (though I don't know how feasible) would be to fade the sounds when switching between any two screens, but I don't know if that's possible or not.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Svengali wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:07 pm
[EliteWiki] BGS 2.0 is available. Documentation may follow .-)
I discovered I completely overlooked BGS2 while testing A_C's one-click Oolite demo, which includes it. Please consider making it available in the manager!
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

By way of some small concurrence, I agree with Astrobe, I use BGS 2.0 as a matter of course in my game and consider it my preferred Background set. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

[EliteWiki] BGS 2.2 is available. Documentation is done. Library v1.4 is required.

For developers: BGS got a function to return usage info. Specially bigger scripts are unhandy and often enough it is not clear what you can or should use.
Use worldScripts.BGS._Help(); in the console.
Astrobe wrote:
I discovered I completely overlooked BGS2 while testing A_C's one-click Oolite demo, which includes it. Please consider making it available in the manager!
I guess we are close to that point, now that the Snoopers replacement GNN is uploaded as well. But before I'd like to redo the Vector...
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Svengali wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 pm
[EliteWiki] BGS 2.2 is available. Documentation is done. Library v1.4 is required.
Using it for some hours now, it looks great. A real improvement to the old version.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Just installed it to use GNN and it's a big improvement most ways, but I'm not keen on the way sound is handled in the station screens - you get a few seconds of background noise then it's completely quiet unless you press a key, which doesn't really give the ambience of a busy station. I generally play wearing headphones to avoid annoying neighbours, and the sudden acoustic deadness is a bit off-putting. Is it supposed to be like that?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

ffutures wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:43 pm
Just installed it to use GNN and it's a big improvement most ways, but I'm not keen on the way sound is handled in the station screens - you get a few seconds of background noise then it's completely quiet unless you press a key, which doesn't really give the ambience of a busy station. I generally play wearing headphones to avoid annoying neighbours, and the sudden acoustic deadness is a bit off-putting. Is it supposed to be like that?
I'd think the looping of some of the files got lost while transfering the handling to Lib_GUI. Probably I wouldn't have noticed it at all, because I'm using background music (the demo for Lib_Music). THX for the pointer! I'll implement a kind of pool for ambience files.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Svengali wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 pm
ffutures wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:43 pm
I'd think the looping of some of the files got lost while transfering the handling to Lib_GUI. Probably I wouldn't have noticed it at all, because I'm using background music (the demo for Lib_Music). THX for the pointer! I'll implement a kind of pool for ambience files.
Thanks, that would be great. Everything else seems fine so far.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

[EliteWiki] BGS 2.3 is available. Library v1.5 is required.

Changes:
Added 8 ambience soundfiles.

@ffutures: I guess this version may feel better for you .-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Svengali wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm
BGS 2.3 is available. Library v1.5 is required.
Thankee! Still seeing that nameless Boa, btw.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Yes, that's much better - many thanks!
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Also, if I may show the appreciation for the backwards compatibility for other sound OX[PZ]s.
Highly impressed!
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

It seems that on Linux, BGS2.3/Library1.5 don't cope too well with Hawksound. No problems on Windows, but on Linux switching back and forth between BGS2.2/Library1.4 and BGS2.3/Library1.5 allows/disables Hawksound.
Any help here would be more than welcome!