Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Blakes 7 ships?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Ah, no where near as big as I was starting to imagine!! :shock: :lol:

It certainly is pretty much identical to how I remember the Imperial Trader, but it's been a long time since I played Frontier!

I have to echo that you've done an outstanding job on the modelling of it - love to see it textured, especially with the textures available now!
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Aw, shucks!

Have to admit, my own curiosity is rising to see that this baby would look like with some clothes on...

Maybe I'll get some good screen grabs of B7 and see what I can do. If anyone has access to some, let me know.

<goes off scratching chin thoughtfully>
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

I could probably find you some HQ B-7 grabs from somewhere.

One comment is that the two equatorial bands of the Liberator should really stand slightly proud and - oh, blast it, here you go. http://content.answers.com/main/content ... erator.jpg

That's about the best I can do at zero notice.

In strict B-7 canon, the globe at the back is the engine and it doesn't give off any exhaust. It does glow on and off, though, when the ship is moving :-)

(Yeah, I know, I'm sad.)
Space Corps Directive #7214
To perserve morale during long-haul missions, all male officers above the rank of First Technician must, during panto season, be ready to put on a dress and a pair of false breasts.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

The are Liberator and Federation Pusuit Ship pics here; not original screen grabs but might be of some use.

http://mateengreenway.com/blakes7/b7.htm
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Equatorial bands? Wassat then? ;)

Ah, good ole' Mateen Greenway. The guy's a machine. The amount of fab stuff he generates is beyond belief.

I hear what you say about the green ball, but consider this - in the series the crew of the Liberator discover the race that built her and christened her DSV-1 (ooh, imaginitive). They have ships that are essentially the pods on thier own as little fighters.

I know that it was done to save budget, but would it not follow that they are powered by the same tech? Where is thier green ball?

The way I've always thought about it, the green ball is basically the reactor, providing masses of power to pass to the engines themselves, which are mounted in the three pods. The smaller fighters have a smaller engine and thus a smaller reactor, which fits nicely into the fighter's main hull.

Just thinking out loud...
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

IIRC the "mini pods" built by the race that made the Liberator did have little balls on them too, but they might have been red, not green.
Last edited by lolwhites on Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Selezen wrote:
Equatorial bands? Wassat then? ;)
Youssou N’Dour?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

lolwhites wrote:
IIRC the "mini pods" built by the race that made the Liberator did have little balls on them too, but they might have been red, not green.
That throws my Green Monkey theory out of the window then
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

BTW, you might be interested to know that there's a new series of B7 audio podcasts in the pipeline:
http://www.b7media.com/blake_audio.html
imipak
Above Average
Above Average

Size of Liberator

Post by imipak »

The craft was clearly visible from the ground at night (I would say probably about the same brightness as Venus in real-life) at 1000 spacials from the surface. At this distance, it was geostationary on Earth-sized planets, so it is fair to assume that 1000 spacials is the same as Earth's geostationary orbit. Based on this, I'd say the Liberator would have to be about a hundred times the size of the existing International Space Station, for the brightness to work out.

Another way to figure the size is in relation to the prison ship in Space Fall. The Liberator is clearly ten-to-fifteen times the size. The prison ship had a crew of about seven or eight and had two rooms for the prisoners, each of which could take about thirty active people. The Cobra III could probably have provided comparable facilities for about fifteen. This makes the Liberator somewhere between twenty to thirty times the size of a Cobra III.

Given that a Cobra Mk. III takes a maximum of two in a cramped flight deck, whereas the Liberator can take seven crew and probably twenty-one passengers comfortably on its flight deck, this might not be unreasonable. The Cobra Mk. III can carry one escape pod for its own use and can carry only a few more in cargo without the cargo extender. The Liberator had several cargo bays, one of which was shown as about ten times the size of the capsule it brought in, which was about twice the size of an escape pod. It had at least two, I'm guessing three, such cargo bays. This ignores the multitude of strongrooms, storage rooms, labs and other areas that could be used to keep things. This would also suggest that the twenty-to-thirty region is about right.

Now, the weaponry is something worth considering. It had essentially three military beam lasers pointing forwards, with the ability to fire rockets in other directions or bombs onto a planet. This would be interesting to simulate in the game. Under the BBC Elite system, lasers had strength. The type was derived from the strength value. A laser of strength 16 was a pulse laser, and a laser of strength 128 was a military beam. This means the Liberator would have a front weapon strength of 384 in BBC Elite terms.

Shields are also important. The Liberator took twenty hits, when ambushed by cloaked Federation vessels, and was damaged but was still flyable. (Unlike when it tried to hold off five hundred alien vessels attacking through the hole in the minefield at Star One. But it still held on for close to an hour, based on the ETAs Servalan was given.) It's hard to judge the power of the Federation's weaponry, let alone that of the aliens from Andromeda, but it seems reasonable to say it would be about that of a military beam laser, except that it could only fire as a pulse weapon. Each of the seven Liberator energy banks could absorb the impact of two plasma bolts (Duel), which means it can take twenty-one such hits, which seems about right. It could recharge moderately rapidly in flight, but not when stationary, so it presumably had giant fuel scoops on each of the three pods.