Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite at 4K resolution

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Oolite at 4K resolution

Post by phkb »

Confirmed: 64bit download works fine on my system.
Bogatyr wrote:

Code: Select all

00:32:25.034 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse Resources/Config/logcontrol.plist as a property list. 
Parse failed at line 1 (char 1) - extra data after parsed string
That's certainly a problem though - looks like there's something funny going on in your logcontrol.plist file. It probably won't cause the exe to not work, but it might make reading the log file trickier.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Bogatyr, I would suggest a trunk re-install and retry with the test exe. There is no reason why it would cause a crash, the change I have made to it is a trivial one.

@phkb: Thanks for the quick test and confirmation.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

another_commander wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 am
Bogatyr, I would suggest a trunk re-install and retry with the test exe. There is no reason why it would cause a crash, the change I have made to it is a trivial one.

@phkb: Thanks for the quick test and confirmation.
I re-installed from the same trunk installation exe and this time installed no OXPs, and the test exe worked. It showed the full-screen resolution and let me run in it (but it's slow, 22FPS with the planet is taking up the full view, I don't have a great GPU I believe). I changed in-game back to 1920x1080, and when I exited the game, it left the desktop at 1920x1080.

Also, with the test exe I experienced the old familiar "short hangs" that have been happening with recent (last several years) versions of oolite, once every few minutes, the game just "goes away" and becomes unresponsive for about 10 seconds. It does this particularly when saving games. The release 1.84 binary does not show this behavior. It seems to have something to do with disk access?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Bogatyr wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:44 am
I re-installed from the same trunk installation exe and this time installed no OXPs, and the test exe worked. It showed the full-screen resolution and let me run in it (but it's slow, 22FPS with the planet is taking up the full view, I don't have a great GPU I believe). I changed in-game back to 1920x1080, and when I exited the game, it left the desktop at 1920x1080.

Also, with the test exe I experienced the old familiar "short hangs" that have been happening with recent (last several years) versions of oolite, once every few minutes, the game just "goes away" and becomes unresponsive for about 10 seconds. It does this particularly when saving games. The release 1.84 binary does not show this behavior. It seems to have something to do with disk access?
Good, it seems we are now getting somewhere. Let's address a few of the points mentioned.

Not sure why it did not restore the desktop back to the original state. I am trying to replicate this (using lower than 4K resolutions of course) and it always, consistently, returns me to the desktop resolution at the time of the game's launch. I am thinking possible driver fault here, but I can't really prove anything because there is not enough information to reach a conclusion.

Short hangs etc. The 1.85 version is a test release binary, which means that it contains debug code that gives us some more information when testing is needed, at the expense of performance. The 1.84 release binary is optimized for end users and thus would probably perform better, depending also on the system it's running on. This may explain what has been observed.

Finally, regarding performance: 22 FPS ?! On an Intel 530?! At 4K ?? Wow!! That's really good. Just to have a basis for comparison, see this chart and note where the Intel 530 stands compared to other gfx cards. Basically we are hitting 22 FPS at 4K with one of the slowest players available.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I wanted to start also. But it won't start also. Which trunk version do I have to get to get this on? I believe I have the latest trunk
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

pagroove wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am
I wanted to start also. But it won't start also. Which trunk version do I have to get to get this on? I believe I have the latest trunk
Are there any error messages? Anything left behind in oolite.app/stderr.txt? Anything in the log? The test exe is built upon the latest trunk and the last binary available from the github nightly releases should work.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I get a red error message that the application cannot start (error box 0xc00007b).

Following is in the log.
AVG and Windows defender are constantly picking at the exe. But I started it anyway. But then it won't start.

Code: Select all

Opening log for Oolite development version 1.85.0.6992-170819-0119485 (x86-32 test release) under Windows 6.2.9200  64-bit at 2017-09-26 11:12:40 +0200.
8 processors detected.
Build options: OpenAL, new planets, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

11:12:40.605 [sound.initialization.error]: Error 40964 creating sound context
11:12:40.605 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 3840 x 2160
11:12:41.316 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 1
11:12:41.317 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 4.5.0 ("4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.76"). Vendor: "NVIDIA Corporation". Renderer: "GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2".
11:12:41.317 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (362):
GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_ARB_shader_viewport_layer_array, GL_ARB_direct_state_access, GL_ARB_clear_texture, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_EXT_post_depth_coverage, GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc, GL_EXT_texture_storage, GL_NV_fragment_program, GL_ARB_query_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_sparse_texture2, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters, GL_ARB_shading_language_include, GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects, GL_NV_fragment_shader_interlock, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_ARB_texture_query_levels, GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport, GL_NV_fence, GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location, GL_ARB_stencil_texturing, GL_NV_conservative_raster, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_NV_draw_vulkan_image, GL_ARB_texture_view, GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_get_program_binary, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_ARB_program_interface_query, GL_EXT_bindable_uniform, GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect, GL_NV_texture_multisample, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object, GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit, GL_ARB_texture_query_lod, GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_stencil8, GL_KHR_no_error, GL_ARB_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge, GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack, GL_ARB_sample_locations, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_KHR_robustness, GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_ARB_shader_texture_image_samples, GL_NV_vertex_program2, GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc, GL_NV_vertex_program3, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects, GL_NV_shader_atomic_float, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_gather, GL_ARB_shader_image_size, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_shader_image_load_formatted, GL_NV_register_combiners2, GL_NV_half_float, GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment, GL_SUN_slice_accum, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_NV_shader_thread_shuffle, GL_ARB_tessellation_shader, GL_NV_stereo_view_rendering, GL_EXT_direct_state_access, GL_NVX_multigpu_info, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3, GL_ARB_bindless_texture, GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_EXT_texture_filter_minmax, GL_ARB_transform_feedback2, GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_ARB_transform_feedback3, GL_ARB_shader_precision, GL_NV_gpu_program_fp64, GL_NV_blend_equation_advanced_coherent, GL_NV_shader_atomic_counters, GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_timer_query, WGL_EXT_swap_control, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode, GL_NV_transform_feedback, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store, GL_NV_gpu_program4_1, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage, GL_ARB_base_instance, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_cull_distance, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_NV_uniform_buffer_unified_memory, GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_NV_fragment_program_option, GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_gl_spirv, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, GL_ARB_shader_ballot, GL_NV_shader_atomic_float64, GL_NVX_blend_equation_advanced_multi_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced, GL_NV_shader_atomic_int64, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_NV_shader_storage_buffer_object, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_ARB_sparse_buffer, GL_EXT_import_sync_object, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_NV_conservative_raster_pre_snap_triangles, GL_ARB_texture_filter_minmax, GL_NV_copy_image, GL_NV_clip_space_w_scaling, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_ARB_clip_control, GL_NV_conservative_raster_dilate, GL_ARB_texture_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_sync, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ARB_robustness, GL_ARB_compatibility, GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1, GL_NV_gpu_program4, GL_NV_gpu_program5, GL_ARB_transform_feedback_overflow_query, GL_NV_vertex_array_range, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_transform_feedback2, GL_NV_vertex_program2_option, GL_ARB_buffer_storage, GL_NV_compute_program5, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_NV_gpu_program5_mem_extended, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_NVX_nvenc_interop, GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory, GL_ARB_texture_barrier, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_copy_image, GL_ARB_gpu_shader_int64, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced, GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_vertex_attrib_integer_64bit, GL_NV_bindless_multi_draw_indirect, GL_NV_sample_mask_override_coverage, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_NV_gpu_shader5, GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui, GL_NV_shader_atomic_fp16_vector, GL_NV_ES1_1_compatibility, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_NV_alpha_to_coverage_dither_control, GL_ARB_shading_language_packing, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, GL_ARB_shader_clock, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_NV_shader_buffer_load, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_ARB_derivative_control, GL_ARB_conservative_depth, GL_AMD_vertex_shader_layer, GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_NV_texture_barrier, GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_ARB_ES3_2_compatibility, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_NV_path_rendering_shared_edge, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32, GL_EXT_window_rectangles, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NV_register_combiners, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_multisample_coverage, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_NV_fill_rectangle, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_parallel_shader_compile, GL_NV_fragment_program2, GL_ARB_shader_group_vote, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_NV_internalformat_sample_query, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled, GL_ARB_sparse_texture_clamp, GL_ARB_blend_func_extended, GL_ARB_shader_subroutine, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_viewport_swizzle, GL_ARB_sparse_texture, GL_ARB_multi_bind, GL_KHR_debug, GL_NV_framebuffer_mixed_samples, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array, GL_NV_ES3_1_compatibility, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range, GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior, GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_vertex_type_10f_11f_11f_rev, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_ARB_internalformat_query2, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend, GL_NV_sample_locations, GL_ARB_post_depth_coverage, GL_NV_fragment_coverage_to_color, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_pipeline_statistics_query, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_internalformat_query, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_gpu_shader5, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_ARB_compute_shader, GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior, GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_shader_thread_group, GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev, GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent, GL_AMD_vertex_shader_viewport_index, GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts, GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size, GL_NV_bindless_texture, GL_ARB_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays, GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_ARB_indirect_parameters, GL_ARB_viewport_array, GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_ARB_texture_storage, GL_NV_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_sparse_texture2, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_NV_viewport_array2, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding, GL_NV_transform_feedback2, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_NV_blend_equation_advanced, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counter_ops, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_NV_depth_buffer_float, GL_EXT_raster_multisample, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_NV_explicit_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock, GL_NV_command_list, GL_NV_geometry_shader_passthrough, GL_NV_draw_texture, GL_EXT_vertex_attrib_64bit, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_sample_shading, GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding, GL_KHR_context_flush_control, GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix, GL_NV_bindless_multi_draw_indirect_count, GL_ARB_debug_output, GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted
11:12:41.320 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
11:12:41.330 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Resource paths: 
    Resources
    ../AddOns
    ../AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
11:12:41.520 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
11:12:42.757 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'Kan geen verbinding maken omdat de doelcomputer de verbinding actief heeft geweigerd.

' (outStream status: 7, inStream status: 7)."
11:12:42.757 [debugTCP.send.warning]: Error sending packet header, retrying.
11:12:42.782 [debugTCP.send.error]: The following packet could not be sent: {"Oolite version" = 1.85; "packet type" = "Request Connection"; "protocol version" = 65792; }
11:12:42.785 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'bad stream.' (outStream status: 0, inStream status: 0)."
11:12:42.785 [debugTCP.connect.failed]: Failed to connect to debug console at address 127.0.0.1:8563.
11:12:42.855 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 2.28 seconds. ==========
11:12:42.893 [sound.initialization.error]: Could not create OpenAL source
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

pagroove, the trunk you have installed is the 32-bit one. Which of the two executables did you use, the 64-bit one or the 32-bit one? Make sure that 32 and 64 bit files are not getting mixed together.

Also, the log shown above is not from the test exe. It is probably a remnant of an earlier run.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

It's starting now. 4k test working. How do I display the FPS?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Yay!!!! :-)

Shift+F.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

mmm 30 fps. Is the framerate locked. On a 1070 card you should expect higher? Edited to add. But it looks super. Even with no OXP's.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 am
On a 1070 card you should expect higher?
At 4K? Probably not.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Well for example In Trainz a new Era I have an FPS of 120 and in Flight sim also above the 100. Edited to add. Not trying to sound like a snob here :lol:
Edited to add 2:

But it works now. Thank you Another Commander :) :D
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

You must be using HDMI 1.0. HDMI 1.0 is locked to 30Hz at 4K and, since the game goes on auto v-sync, it locks itself to 30FPS also.

Try running the game with the parameter "-novsync" in the command line and it should run at max capacity,
gsagostinho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by gsagostinho »

another_commander wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am
Try running the game with the parameter "-novsync" in the command line and it should run at max capacity,
Would it be possible to add this option to the in-game Options menu or is that a complicated thing?