Transparent planets and black suns!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Transparent planets and black suns!

Post by Captain Hesperus »

This is something I've come across while Ooliteering. Whenever I sunskim (which is becoming more and more frequent), I get a ccertain distance from the sun and it suddenly goes black (well actually the body itself 'disapears' so you can see the background) surrounded by the corona. I thought it might have been a 'safety feature', you know, to prevent the pilot from being sun-blinded. But Commander Dilbert's skimming tutorial in the Wiki, the sun is the usual ball of white.
Just recently I was approaching a planet with the sun behind it and as I got halfway there, the sun suddenly became visible....through the planet! I will include a screenshot if it occurs again, has anyone else had this happen or am I just (un)lucky?

Captain Hesperus
"Alright, Zozen. You are the best engineer on board and I will give you a raise. Now turn the Life Support Systems back on!"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Seeing the sun through a semi transparent planet does occasionally happen, IIRC there is a thread somewhere on this.

I have never seen the sun go "black" on a sun skimming approach, it may be one of your loaded OXP's causing this.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Might be a videocard driver issue? Poor OpenGL support?
Captain Hesperus

I don't know about the technical stuff (and quite frankly I doubt I could understand it even if it was explained in small sentences), but it happened from OXPs as I didn't have anyloaded in at the time.

Captain Hesperus
"All crew, hear this! There WILL NOT be any more talk about the Tionisla incident. Any references to tomb-ships, grave-robbing or necrophilia will result in one month's stopped pay!"
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

I get this all the time, and suspect it could be because I have crappy SiS chips rather than a proper graphics card, as I have problems with my HUD too. It's only a minor annoyance though, it doesn't really affect gameplay.
Captain Hesperus

lolwhites wrote:
I get this all the time, and suspect it could be because I have crappy SiS chips rather than a proper graphics card, as I have problems with my HUD too. It's only a minor annoyance though, it doesn't really affect gameplay.
I agree, to be honest, I prefer it to being blinded by a screen of white! Makes sense that the monitors in the cockpit would filter out the majority of the light to aid the pilot, sort of like anti-glare!

Captain Hesperus
"My idea of anti-glare views is ordering my transvestite galley chef not to wear gold lame on duty."
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Indeed, and the eclipse/corona effect is kinda cool.