Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Some thoughts on Missiles & ECM

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Some thoughts on Missiles & ECM

Post by Astrobe »

This reminds me I have an updated version available: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7mL1 ... FN2XzFHT1U

I've retrofitted it from 1.85RE to vanilla 1.84 and removed the unrelated stuff. So:
- standard missiles get a bit of ECM resilience,
- hardheads are a bit less ECM resilient,
- both are not immediately armed after launched. I've reused some existing feature that exists to solve something else I don't understand, so the missiles also tend to "dive" on launch. I don't know how long it takes for them to arm themselves, you'll have to figure it out yourself.
- both may behave randomly for a few seconds when hit by an ECM, or explode. Actually ECM has 80% chances to do nothing to ECM, or else have the same effect as on standard missiles (explode, malfunction for a few seconds, or do nothing).

As a result missiles tend to be more troublesome for you, and more useful for you as well. That's only normal for a device that comes in limited quantities (lasers are only good because they don't need ammo, right?).

While doing this stuff I had bugs that made missiles AI-less. Apparently one cannot scoop them as is - they explode when you come near enough. The other remarkable thing about this is that NPCs walk around them as if they were mines.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Astrobe wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm
I've reused some existing feature that exists to solve something else I don't understand, so the missiles also tend to "dive" on launch.
I think this is the bit that stops the missile from being 'run over' by the ship that launches it - a fast ship (or one using injectors) can be faster than a missile!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:51 pm
Astrobe wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm
I've reused some existing feature that exists to solve something else I don't understand, so the missiles also tend to "dive" on launch.
I think this is the bit that stops the missile from being 'run over' by the ship that launches it - a fast ship (or one using injectors) can be faster than a missile!
Yes - specifically when a missile is launched at a target behind the launching ship. Without this initial kick on launch, the missile just stops, turns round, and harmlessly rams the launching ship on the way back.