Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

A question about military shield enhancement

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

A question about military shield enhancement

Post by vaxon »

I've been experimenting with shield boosters and military shield enhancement. Even though I have an extra energy unit on my cobra mk 3, military shield enhancement seems to cause a very slow shield recharge. It seems that shield boosters are much more effective in a fight, despite being a lot cheaper.
Do I need a naval energy unit or maybe a naval grid for effective military shield usage?

Thanks,
V.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: A question about military shield enhancement

Post by Norby »

Military Shield is good without Naval Energy Unit also.

See the math: your Cobra generate 4 energy/seconds, an Extra Energy Unit multiply this by 1.8 so you have 7.2/s. Naval Energy Unit provide 10.4/s but this will not increase the recharge rate of your shields. The base shield recharge is 2 points/sec/side. Military shield is not only extend your max. shield strength but increase shield recharge also by 1.5x to 3. When both sides need recharge it consume 6/s, the leftover go into your energy banks: 1.2/s with EEU or 4.4/s with NEU, at least theoretically in the core game.

If you found very different behaviour then maybe an OXP (like Naval Grid or Ship Configuration) changed something or less likely a bug is in your way.

An interesting situation if you have no Energy Unit at all (or damaged) but use Military Shield. In this case your energy level will decrese by 2/s when both shields recharging. I like this also due to the energy is in better place in shields to protect equipments.
vaxon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vaxon »

Thanks for your detailed explanation.
I have naval grid oxp installed, but I don't have the device installed on my ship.
It just seems that shield recharge is too slow, especially when everyone around is shooting at you.

Thanks,
V.
Runghold
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Runghold »

I remember that shield boosters and military shield enhancement both doubled the shield capacity on the amiga elite.

(The Shield did not charge to its full capacity after fitting the equipment but i did after the first launch after fitting, so one could easily see: After buying one, the shield power seemed to be half depleted. After buying both, the shield power seemed to be three quarters depleted.)

I guess it is similar in Oolite: Both shield boosters and military shield enhancement dramatically increase your shield capacity while the bar indicating the shield power stays on its max level. So if installed both you have about 400% of your original shield capacity which of course takes four times the time to recharge from zero to full than it did with the original shields. So only the bar recharges slower while the recharge rate stays the same.

Hmm. I hope i did not confuse you just more. Sometimes i suck at explaining, especially in english.