Blender 3d Modeling Tutorials

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Blender 3d Modeling Tutorials

Post by Diziet Sma »

It can be done.. I got mine very close to how that setup looks.. but it took some poking around, and some things have changed somewhat..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Got a bunch of blender models I want to export to Oolite, but can't find a way to export to .dat files (which is what oolite uses right?)

Can anyone help a non-3dmodel-experienced?

"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Export them as .obj, then use the python script here to convert them to .dat
Some interesting designs there :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Smivs wrote:

Couldn't get Python pathed correctly though (P3.5 wanted to install under Program Files, and didnt path it, so doesnt recognize command Python (yet, I hope it will on restart), so gonna try again tomorrow.
I hope they are not too high poly?

edit :
I got plenty of models, though they are low texture resolution NIFs (user created units for civilization IV).
Here's some more :

I do lack the expertise to transfer them to oolite (got them into Blender as .dae) and while I wouldn't mind to texturerize them, I lack the time to learn blender, so if anyone is up for a joint venture, let me know :D

cheers vincentz
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." - Isaac Asimov
Vincentz
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Vincentz »

Smivs wrote:
I'm getting some errors :
the obj : http://www.mediafire.com/download/873dp ... ighter.zip

with obj2dattexnorm.py:

with obj2dattex.py:

any clues?
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

Python 3 is significantly different from Python version 2. I'd try using version 2.7. The second error is definitely a Python 3 specific error, not sure about the first.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

You've got some great ship designs there Vincentz. I hope that you find a way to get them into the game.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

I must be a blithering idiot, as I can't even seem to be able to follow Staer's OP Blender tutorial for setting up the workspace on Blender 2.6.9 running on 64-bit Linux Mint 17.1 (Cinnamon), let alone modelling anything... so I'm completely lost even before I start.

Can anyone point to any "Blender for Frickin' Idiots" tutorials, (the ones several steps below "Bender for Dummies") I might try?
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ha, yes that sounds like my experience. I tried Wings3D instead and find it quite intuitive, and there are lots of useful clips on YouTube as well :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Ranthe wrote:
Can anyone point to any "Blender for Frickin' Idiots" tutorials, (the ones several steps below "Bender for Dummies") I might try?
Hopefully these will help.
Good luck!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ranthe wrote:
I must be a blithering idiot, as I can't even seem to be able to follow Staer's OP Blender tutorial for setting up the workspace on Blender 2.6.9 running on 64-bit Linux Mint 17.1 (Cinnamon), let alone modelling anything... so I'm completely lost even before I start.
I recall having problems with this, too.. as I recall, some of the menu/right-click locations have changed.. it took me some poking around to figure out how to get the workspace set up the way Staer describes.
Ranthe wrote:
You have a PM.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

i found wings3d to be easier to start with too. my only problem is inspiration. every time i think to design a ship it turns out i'm just copying something i have already seen in a scifi show/movie!...

Started to make a small wing type fighter then realised it looked like a cylon fighter ... just for lol's i made a huge cube and textured it with a borg ish texture...

i really need to fix the oogle( eagle from space 1999)...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
toudi_sk
Competent
Competent

Post by toudi_sk »

hi, I have problem with .obj files with oolite ships (thx to another_commander for link), Blender can´t import this .obj files (I tried 3, adder, anaconda and krait, saved in PC right click-> Save Link As...) and online converter have problem with this .obj files too (I need .dae file for import to sketchup to make papercraft models), can you say, what I do wrong please?

I try model from Staer9, export to .obj and .dae, and both works fine :|
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I responded to the other thread before seeing this, but have a look at the recommendations there and we can continue the discussion on this thread here if you want, which seems to be more relevant to the topic at hand.
toudi_sk
Competent
Competent

Post by toudi_sk »

thx again for help, both methods working fine (but .zip file won) :lol:

If I can create a paper model, then I sure will need help with getting the textures for coloring it

my previous ELITE Adder paper model in compare with the Oolite version