KeeperHUD V1.2 (for widescreen high-res; 15 MFDs), Updated 4 Aug 2016

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: KeeperHUD (for widescreen)

Post by Keeper »

Yeah, JazHaz, keeping up to date on a Windows PC is easy now with cwRsync. I have a batch file on my machine. Double-click and it updates only the files that have changed since last time. (The Windows trunk build updates are for 64-bit Windows only now, so maybe that's what you mean by them stopping; do you have a 32-bit OS?)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Keeper wrote:
(The Windows trunk build updates are for 64-bit Windows only now)
Umm.. not according to this:
http://terrastorage.dyndns.info/oolite/ ... win32.html
Oolite-Windows x86 (getafix@dwarf) GIT Revision: b53ad5e
Build date: Thu Feb 13 03:35:32 UTC 2014
Win32 builds get made along with all the rest..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Ah, I guess I misunderstood what was meant by the note I saw about 64-bit being the primary Windows platform now, then. I thought that meant only 64-bit was getting the regular updates.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: KeeperHUD V1.1 (for widescreen; supports new 1.79 featur

Post by Keeper »

NEW VERSION 1.1: Adds new elements introduced in Oolite 1.79, including a new element that all HUDs must implement for compatibility with future OXPs.

* A permanent line indicates what equipment currently is primed.

* A line next to the compass provides information about the current ASC target.

* Multi-function display screens added for future OXPs that will use them (the new Tutorial mode already uses one of them).

I also better positioned the "Weapons systems offline" text which previously was a bit too far to the right.

Download: 1.1 now obsolete; see first post for latest version

Here's a picture of the first two elements:

For the multi-function screens, I left them at the same size as the new default HUD, as I feel that will be important to maintain a consistent look across HUDs (assuming all other HUDs do the same when they implement the screens). Depending on how they end up being used by future OXPs, I might in future want to move them over to opposite sides of the screen instead of closer to the centre as they are now.

These new screens have been introduced in Oolite 1.79 because the use of mission screens while in flight is now considered obsolete. Instead, OXPs can display information on the HUD's multi-function screens, so that the player can still maintain control of the ship, and see to avoid obstacles in the flight path. Obviously, because of this, every custom HUD must include multi-function screens or you won't be able to use future OXPs (and possibly updates of current OXPs; I can imagine a couple off the top of my head). This HUD therefore is one of (if not) the first custom HUDs that actually is fully 1.79-and-up compatible.
Last edited by Keeper on Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

Cool! When 1.79 will be out, I'll use your hud as a template to update my clear hud :)
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

No reason you can't update it now. It won't break anything to have the code in there ahead of time; users of 1.77 simply won't see the new elements.
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

You are right. I'll update it soon. ;)
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: KeeperHUD V1.2 (for widescreen high-res; 15 MFDs), Updated 4 Aug 2016

Post by Keeper »

Updated this HUD since MFDs are now a thing and you might actually need more than four.

* Increases number of MFDs from four to 15. When I first added Multi-Function Displays, they were a future feature of Oolite. Now that they're commonplace, four of them may not be enough. You may never need 15 displays on at once, but this does give you options in MFD placement.

* The MFD screens will change color depending on ship status. This is particularly useful when waiting to get out of masslock, as the crosshair and status light changes may not get your attention quite as much. For red status, I didn't use the standard "redColor" as that was too hard to read; I used a lighter red -- 1.0,0.3,0.3).

* Removed the joystick yaw/pitch/roll indicators. They're just commented out, so if you want to use them, you can uncomment the lines from the green, yellow and red hud files (just then make sure not to use MFD screen number 1, which is drawn in the same place).

* Moved the FPS indicator to the middle of the screen so if you turn it on it only will conflict with MFD #15 (for trunk build, probably MFD #14 as well). Anyone with trunk build, let me know if the smaller text that gets included with the FPS counter is still readable for you (or if it even really matters to you!).

Screenshot in 1680 × 1050, yellow condition, showing all 15 MFDs activated (with numbers added so you can see how they're arranged):
http://www.keeper1st.com/Oolite/pics/keeperhudmfds.png
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: KeeperHUD V1.2 (for widescreen high-res; 15 MFDs), Updated 4 Aug 2016

Post by Cholmondely »

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?