Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] How do I run Oolite 1.84 without using the terminal?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Crown Home
Average
Average

[Solved] How do I run Oolite 1.84 without using the terminal?

Post by Crown Home »

Hi Commanders, Admirals, Rear Assasins and all the rest!

Thank you all for your work and your dedication, its really highly appreciated! :D :D :D

I just installed 1.84 under Ubuntu 14.04 and I have two questions:

How do I start the game without the terminal? IIRC there shold be an icon after the installation to click, but none showed up. Do I miss something?

And when I start the game with ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite the following messages show up:

Code: Select all

AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
What does that mean? The game is running smoothly, so I dont know whether its something serious or not.

Thanx a lot in advance!
Last edited by Getafix on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as "Solved"
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Re: How do I run Oolite 1.84 without using the terminal?

Post by Stormrider »

Hello Crown Home,
Crown Home wrote:
How do I start the game without the terminal? IIRC there shold be an icon after the installation to click, but none showed up.
That seems strange, can you find it under games in the menu? If so you should be able to right click and select add to desktop or add to panel. With mint mate 17.3 I can left click on the desktop and select create launcher from the drop menu and point it to home/username/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.
I am not sure about the message for pulse except that you may experience some sound issues. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about that will be along soon.
Crown Home
Average
Average

Post by Crown Home »

Hello Stormrider,
thank you for stepping in!
Stormrider wrote:
That seems strange, can you find it under games in the menu?
No, unfortunately not. I can't even find the folder "Games" in my files.
Stormrider wrote:
With mint mate 17.3 I can left click on the desktop and select create launcher from the drop menu and point it to home/username/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.
When I left click on the desktop, the drop menu doesn't contain an option "create launcher".
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

How about right click on the taskbar and create a new icon there, then drag&drop to the desktop?

Alternatively hold down the ctrl while drag&drop any existing icon even from the menu to the desktop to make a copy, then right click-properties and change both the image and script name.

Find images in the ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps or ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Images folders.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

[Solved] Re: How do I run Oolite 1.84 without using the terminal?

Post by Getafix »

Crown Home wrote:
...And when I start the game with ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite the following messages show up:

Code: Select all

AL lib: (WW) alc_initconfig: Failed to initialize backend "pulse"
bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
What does that mean? The game is running smoothly, so I dont know whether its something serious or not...
Feel free to ignore these messages.

Now, presuming you have Unity UI and if you haven't customized many things, the Unity Launcher (that vertical bar of icons) should have an UbuntuLogo icon (I think it is call "Dash home") on the top of the list of application icons. If you click it, you have the option to search for Oolite by just typing oolite in the top text box. The Oolite icon titled "Oolite (oolite.org)" should appear. You can then drag the "Oolite (oolite.org)" icon to the Unity Launcher to have a shortcut.

As I don't have my hands on an actual Ubuntu 14.04 installation at this time, please, let me know if it worked. :)
Last edited by Getafix on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as "Solved"
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Crown Home
Average
Average

Post by Crown Home »

Thank you very much indeed!

Worked perfectly, the only confusing thing is, that it still does not show up in the dash as a used application - all others, like games, picture viewer, even the terminal do. :?

But I think, I will feel free to ignore that too...

Thank you again, best greetings! :)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Glad that did the trick for you Crown Home! :)
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]