New 1.65 exe for Windows posted (experimental)

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

manzo
Poor
Poor

Post by manzo »

dajt wrote:
What happens if you run at a more mainstream resolution?
What, and negate the point of me having a great big f*ck-off TFT? ;)

I'll have a play with the monitor settings tonight. Thinking about it, the monitor is set to stretch the image to fill the screen if it's at a smaller resolution, but then it doesn't do that with the normal exe. I'll try turning it off to see if it makes a difference.
dajt wrote:
Or perhaps if you turn the textured planets off, but use the tp5 exe? You can switch them off in the planetinfo.plist file. The readme that came with the exe should say how to do it.
I'll give those a go too, if I get no joy from the monitor.
manzo
Poor
Poor

Post by manzo »

Right then....

So far, I've tried:

Not stretching the screen to fit the TFT.
Changing the screen res to 1600x1200 & 1280x1024.
Changing the generate_textures & show_atmosphere entries in planetinfo.plist to 0.
Using the tp4 exe.

None of these make any difference. Every time, reverting to the normal exe stops the problem. I understand that I'm probably the only person that this is happening to, so if you have any other ideas for what I can check on my system, I'm happy to look into it.

I can post the contents of the stderr.txt file if you wish (there's what look like XML parser errors, mostly), though I don't think that I'll post up the stdout.txt file, given that it's 2Mb of alpha values!
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Re the alpha values, I thought I'd fixed that in the last exe released. Bugger.

I have no time for "hobby" development now so the PC textured planets are on hold. I am guessing Giles will have his planet rendering a bit further along and Winston will have done something about the multi-platform build issues before I get back to it.

I suggest you go back to the standard exe if the screen glitch is ruining your game because I don't have the time or hardware to sort it out.
Regards,
David Taylor.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

HI,
just incase it's worth referencing here, i'm having dubious probs w/ the PC version, mentioned here

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=2176

seems i'm getting very few NPC ships generated, Library folder below GNUstep not created etc??
I've just looked at the stickies, and one mentions getting a GNUStep thing, but this was relating to v1.61 i think, nothing in v1.65 mentions this so i'm not sure if i should still do it? i don't know about this whole "decide if you want source or binary" thing tho :-/