Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Insane attack levels

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

gizmo
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Insane attack levels

Post by gizmo »

I'm pretty sure those are assassins trying to kill one (or more) of your passengers.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Oolite usually starts quite peaceful. Unless YOU decide to visit an Anarchy system, you are pretty safe. You can avoid most of the bad guys by diving deep off the main line, that has been described here before: when arriving at a system, turn perpendicular to the witchpoint beacon - planet line, use the thorus drive (j on the keyboard), do so for 5-10 seconds, only then turn towards the planets station.

To make gameplay a bit more demanding, you can attack pirates on your own, go to Anarchy systems, install some expansion sets (OXPs) or: Go into transport business. Parcels as well as passengers often attract the attention of bad guys. The assassins wait for you at the witchpoint while you enter the system.
Packages : Normally I do shove any passing packages in the hold which are going in the right direction for my passengers. (Fastest yield of money to build up the iron ass.) I'll watch them more closely.
That's the reason for your problem most probably.

Delivering cargo does not create such disturbances, after a few deliveries you are able to do contracts with gold, gem stones, platinum. Those pay off very well.
Last edited by ralph_hh on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

CWolf wrote:
RockDoctor wrote:
But, you come out of Witch-space, there's 10 pirates around the beacon so you can't torus-jump out of there, and they've got injectors too ... there's just a sick sense of inevitability.
You must have an oxp installed that is spawning them, I don't get muggings at every jump.
Could you tell us what you have installed?
No. This happens in vanilla Oolite as well. Not on every jump, but pretty often.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

I get this only when i'm transporting a lucrative passenger, sometimes you indeed need some hairtrigger reflexes to get out of that hassle... ;)
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Svengali wrote:
This happens in vanilla Oolite as well. Not on every jump, but pretty often.
Strange... I don't get jumped by pirates at the witchpoint very often (perhaps because there are nearly always assassins waiting).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

You must have an oxp installed that is spawning them, I don't get muggings at every jump.
Could you tell us what you have installed?
Hmmm, lost the attribution bit of the code. Oh well.
From my Latest.Log

Code: Select all

C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.captsolo.tori2.02.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.cim.energy-bomb.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.cim.systemfeatures.rings.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.cim.systemfeatures.sunspots.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Commander_McLane.Anarchies.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.DrTripsa.InSystemTrader.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Norby.Planetfall_Markets.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Norby.VariableMasslock.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Okti.CargoScanner.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Pagroove.FamousPlanets.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.phkb.DisplayCurrentCourse.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.phkb.EmailSystem.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_others_gas_giants.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.smivs.ExtraFuelTanks.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.additional_planets_sr_base.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.stations_for_extra_planets.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.station_ads.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Svengali.CCL.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Svengali.OXPConfig.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.FlightLog.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.Liners.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompass.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompassPackA.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompassPackB.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompassPackC.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.PlanetaryCompassPackD.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.Planetfall-OoHaul.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.Planetfall.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Thargoid.RepairBots.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Wildeblood.AutoCrosshairs.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Wildeblood.GlareClarifier.oxz
    C:\Users/NLP970-F/Desktop/PortableApps/OOL182/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.Wildeblood.interfaces_screen.oxz
All the bits above /OOL182/ tell you that I'm hoping it'll work as a "portableised" application, since I'll be coming off this machine in a few weeks and have to clean it of my debris.
That's odd - I thought that I'd removed one-of the CaptainsLog or FlightLog expansions. No point in having both.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

@Cody: Unless you start digging a bit deeper into Oolites secrets, you are probably not aware, that there is such a thing as a role "assassin". Who attacks you is a pirate... So I guess we can safely assume that it were assassins indeed.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<chortles> I do know a little about assassins!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

RockDoctor wrote:
All the bits above /OOL182/ tell you that I'm hoping it'll work as a "portableised" application [snip]
I can assure you that Oolite works perfectly fine as a portable application. You only need to copy oolite.app and everything below it to a USB and you are good to go. Just remember to copy the AddOns folder at the same folder as oolite.app so that the OXPs can be recognized again when you restore it to a new computer (you may also run it directly from the USB if you prefer; that works fine too).
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Cody wrote:
<chortles> I do know a little about assassins!
That's for sure. :D
But take me as an example, I did not know, unless I read your posts about them in your parcel tales. Probably the author of this thread is/was equally unaware.
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

another_commander wrote:
I can assure you that Oolite works perfectly fine as a portable application.
It certainly has in the past. Probably the maintaining of things in a multi-platform codebase will ensure that it does in the future too. But I'm too used to seeing things unexpectedly change to have too much confidence in that happening unless there is a specific check for it in the test procedures.
Portable applications are extremely useful if you move between machines and environments on a regular basis.
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

onno256 wrote:
I get this only when i'm transporting a lucrative passenger,
Ah ... and of course, I'm always looking for the passenger who'd make the best bang per buck.
I hadn't considered that a possible scenario.
So, the docks of the Ooniverse are laden with spies. Interesting.
--
Cody

Post by Cody »

ralph_hh wrote:
Probably the author of this thread is/was equally unaware.
<grins> Aye, true enough.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

What i usually do when entering a system with a passenger onboard, is pull up and get the hell away from the witchpoint beacon. In an empty part of space i can leisurly check the systems info and decide wether i'm going pirate hunting or not, (depending on state of ship, amount of fuel left, etc.)
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hi RockDoctor,
You may have noticed that this is Oolite, the game that some say give you swimming lessons in the deep blue and stuff some rocks in your pockets to help you along. i.e. There is no easy setting.
I've been playing since V1.65, tried 1.82 and decided I prefered 1.80, even added the bad baddie oxz's to spice it up.
Not sure what they think when they run into my Caddy the Gertrude. She has a few wee surprises. But not enough that I don't see the dreaded "Press Space" a bitty more than I'd like.
But then that's what the game is. To make it exactly what you want.

I feel for ya on the being jumped. Happened to me leaving a rock hermit, must have been at least a dozen, all on full laser drain on my hull, lasted 3 seconds at most, an the Gertrude is a true Iron ass.. Just goes to show, Oolite aint a platform type game. And the AI can be dumb as well as deadly.
To my mind that's what is addictive, You never know what's coming next.
Enjoy and feel free to complain to the managment about your last demise.
We all love a good laugh.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!