Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Travel Time Information

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Travel Time Information

Post by ralph_hh »

When selecting a mission, the time to deliver is displayed in hours.
The galactic chart displays the time in days:hours.
I'd like to suggest to have this in one method only, preferably hours. It's Kind of annoying to always calculate whether the time needed 7 days:8 hours is more or less than or close to 190 hours. (it's 176 hours)

Another thing - more than a question actually: Is there a way to switch between shortest way and quickest way in the galactic chart?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Travel Time Information

Post by Disembodied »

ralph_hh wrote:
Is there a way to switch between shortest way and quickest way in the galactic chart?
You need the [wiki]Advanced Navigational Array[/wiki] - it displays the route with the fewest jumps by default, but if you press 'ctrl' it will display the shortest travel time route.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Disembodied wrote:
You need the [wiki]Advanced Navigational Array[/wiki] - it displays the route with the fewest jumps by default, but if you press 'ctrl' it will display the shortest travel time route.
Small correction for 1.82: You press Shift+6 to cycle through modes (fewest jumps, shortest travel time, off). Holding Ctrl was the 1.80 way of doing it.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Ah. Thanks. I have the array installed, but after some month of not playing, I was not so sure, that there is such a button. Couldn't find it in the keyconfig file.
:-)
I'm still using 1.8 is think, I'll try both methods.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

another_commander wrote:
Small correction for 1.82: You press Shift+6 to cycle through modes (fewest jumps, shortest travel time, off). Holding Ctrl was the 1.80 way of doing it.
OK, ta – I've updated the wiki page.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I thought this thread was going to be about TIME travel. :lol:

...Which I could only do something kinda like that back in Oolite v1.76 by passing through multiple overlapping wormholes at once. (Things got really weird when that happened.)
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Back to the first part of the first post - I've stumbled over the different time formats too. I'm collecting calculators, so it isn't an unsolvable problem for me :wink:, but it would be nicer if the times were always given in hours only (there are no days in interstellar travel).
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

time is relative in space........
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Switeck wrote:
...Which I could only do something kinda like that back in Oolite v1.76 by passing through multiple overlapping wormholes at once. (Things got really weird when that happened.)
Is it still possible? Sounds fun!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

CWolf wrote:
Switeck wrote:
Is it still possible? Sounds fun!
Mostly, all stacking wormholes could do is burn up mad amounts of time. Even though it was only inside the stack, these jumps could violate the usual 7 LY jump limit. But even though the sub-jumps inside the stack of wormholes could violate the 7 LY rule, the final destination always had to be within 7 LY of the starting system. If the wormholes were to 2 destinations 6 LY apart from the start...and 9 LY away from each other, the time to travel was 6*6 + 9*9 hours...or 117 hours. (almost 5 days!) The funny thing was it's not totally controllable whether you'd end up at the 1st wormhole's destination or the 2nd one's because it's not always certain which wormhole is entered first what with them shrinking/decaying and your approach to them likely being at high speed. The game's framerate may even matter.

But if regular jumps through stacked wormholes were only a bit odd, misjumps were insane. Zeno's Paradoxes come to mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeno%27s_ ... my_paradox
A stack of wormholes to the same destination system, all done as a single act while configured so everything is a misjump means your ship approaches ever-closer to that system...although often getting "stuck" 0.4 LY away for 4+ additional jumps in a row before it's finally close enough to round down to 0 LY distance. Simple enough...but what about misjumping using 2 different systems?

Take a look at the 3rd Galactic Chart. There's 2 systems cut-off from the rest of it. Misjump chains allowed me to get to them (1-way of course) from the rest of the chart. A much simpler misjump chain could allow me to reach Oresrati in Galaxy Chart 8 using as few as 2 wormhole tunnels. Manually doing misjumps required 5 jumps/tunnels.

Unfortunately, that was all "fixed" with the v1.77 update. Overlapping wormholes now only trigger a single jump.

Partial misjumps were added in its place after v1.76, so not all misjumps are roughly 50% of the distance. An OXP could even set the misjump percentage with reliable results. I can still reach Oresrati in Galaxy Chart 8, though not as quickly as before. I can even reach the 2 cut-off systems in Galaxy Chart 3...though it's absolutely torturous to do so. My best time on that is about 551 hours. In-universe, everyone would consider you dead for taking so long. :lol:

With extreme planning, well-placed misjumps can sometimes save time going through multiple systems to a final destination. You can go mad trying to find the fastest misjump route manually. Doubly mad if using partial misjumps. It's not intuitive, and brute-force calculations aren't guaranteed to find them either. After all, how can you test every percentage value between 0 and 1? ...using all possible nearby systems in case there's an oddball shortcut method?

Do note that none of that is possible without some means of recharging jump fuel after each jump, so without OXPs or cheating this cannot be done. It might theoretically be possible to reach Oresrati even without cheating or OXPs thanks to randomly-arriving NPC ships that jump out of interstellar space, but it's not worth doing. Crossing the Great Rift in Galaxy Chart 7 is about as good as it gets using regular Oolite without OXPs or cheats...and you still have to somehow trigger a misjump on demand -- possibly using another ship's wormhole.