Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Defence against missiles

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DavidPratt
Average
Average

Defence against missiles

Post by DavidPratt »

I have military shields, but keep getting killed by a type of missile (not sure which). The missile concerned seems to wobble on the screen. How can I stop this happening?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Defence against missiles

Post by Smivs »

Sounds like an OXP missile, so removing the OXP will stop it happening. What OXPs do you use which add missiles?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

You do have ECM, do you?

In general, if a missile hits you from the front, the damage is often lethal. Try to turn around and fly away from it, the damage is much smaller then. Also, you have a good chance to try ECM more often as it takes longer for the missile to reach you, sometimes even a ECM hardened missile gets destroyed this way. And you may even be lucky to hit the missile with the rear laser.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

You can left behind missiles using Injectors, moreover missiles has limited fuel so you can turn back soon. My usual tatctics is to run into a safe distance where the enemy ship is barely not in my scanner, stop but turn back the nose, wait until the first missile arrive near, then assault using injectors almost facing them - the missiles will miss and left behind me, the target will appear back to my scanner and missiles has not enough fuel to arrive back into the dogfight.

An exception is the [wiki]I-Missile[/wiki] which has built-in injectors and faster than any core player ships on injectors. You should install this extension only when you are familiar with other missiles and want more challenge. :)

There is another interception missile in [wiki]Missiles and Bombs[/wiki] but this is only as fast as the slowest core player ship (Anaconda) on injectors so not a problem until you have enough fuel.

There are more general tips in [wiki]Missile tactics[/wiki] and details with calculation examples in dealEnergyDamage, whcih show that you should run away when the missile hit you to reduce the suffered damage, could save even on normal speed up to two energy banks.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

ralph_hh wrote:
... sometimes even a ECM hardened missile gets destroyed this way.
This happens far too often to my hardheads lately... at 350Cr each, I expect better!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

You know... Perhaps, sometimes you should open one of these parcels with prototype technology data and have a closer look
:twisted:
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

I'm interested in what to do if there's no rear laser (e.g. Adder start). Or no fuel left. Since basically everything other than repeated ECM seems to depend on both being present (and fuel injectors working). For shooting down a missile fired from relative close range (most of the time) with the rear laser there's first a little speed boost needed (and perhaps a second or a third time when missing the spiralling missile). For hitting the corkscrewing missile it's important to fire onto the spot where it will be, not where it is. And a (preferably cool) beam laser is needed, at least. (Actually, a beam laser is probably better than a military laser even...it allows for more shots until it overheats; any hit will destroy the missile, the damage is not important.)
Flying into the direction of the missile to make it miss as Norby recommends sounds very frightening. And should need a fair amount of fuel too.
Most lethal missiles seem to be fired from close range when firing hard onto some enemy with the front laser, as there's no chance to move away from the missile anymore because you are flying into the enemy's direction already, and the missile is flying to you. So I would strongly advice to not use the front laser when actually trying to kill an enemy, or be very careful to not come too close.
Also, please let me abuse this topic for a little shameless OXP advertisement: Missile warning. This makes sure no missile-ish things can close in on you unnoticed (which was the cause of my BOOM press space) encounters lately).
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Anonymissimus wrote:
I'm interested in what to do if there's no rear laser (e.g. Adder start). Or no fuel left.
Die :lol:
The adder start is always a challenge with missiles as even with an ECM installed you have to watch your energy, spamming the ECM is a good way to get yourself killed :mrgreen: There's the firing of your missile at the missile or the enemy for them to use their ECM, but you only have one missile :(
Anonymissimus wrote:
Most lethal missiles seem to be fired from close range when firing hard onto some enemy with the front laser, as there's no chance to move away from the missile anymore because you are flying into the enemy's direction already, and the missile is flying to you. So I would strongly advice to not use the front laser when actually trying to kill an enemy, or be very careful to not come too close.
A preemptive ECM can help here. Certain ships tend to use this tactic more often than others so a little bit of tactical awareness helps. Again used too much can cause Energy problems in some ships.

Edit: to change wrong info.
Last edited by Venator Dha on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Flying into the direction of the missile to make it miss as Norby recommends sounds very frightening.
First time enough if you continue your run and keep at least a few km distance until missiles explode. After some run you will have a sense about when will run out of fuel so you can turn back earlier, keeping a big safe distance while go back far below the missile. With enough experience you will not fear when you go back near them.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

One way to get ECM is to fire off one of your own missiles. Usually one of the enemy ships will immediately try ECM, your missile may be destroyed but there's a good chance the enemy ones will be too.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Venator Dha wrote:
There's the firing of your missile at the missile
How exactly is that supposed to work ? I never managed to fire a missile onto an incoming missile. E.g. please describe how to do it in the tutorial with no addons installed.
(The problem is that the missile cannot be locked onto the incoming one, which is needed for launching it.)
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning
DavidPratt
Average
Average

Post by DavidPratt »

Thank you Smivs Removing the OXP worked!
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Venator Dha wrote:
There's the firing of your missile at the missile
How exactly is that supposed to work ? I never managed to fire a missile onto an incoming missile. E.g. please describe how to do it in the tutorial with no addons installed.
(The problem is that the missile cannot be locked onto the incoming one, which is needed for launching it.)
:oops: I'd forgotten about that.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cody wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
... sometimes even a ECM hardened missile gets destroyed this way.
This happens far too often to my hardheads lately... at 350Cr each, I expect better!
Damn it, two on the trot... again! Is it possible that these highly-accurate assassins are shooting my hardheads down? Fiendish!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

I'm quite sure I've seen them shooting their own missiles occasionally!
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"