Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Current state of OXP's?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Current state of OXP's?

Post by FSOneblin »

I love the new OXZ's set up. Amazingly smooth, it's just perfect. However, I'm a little confused about installing older OXP's, and if many of them exist from... 8 years ago?!?! I can't believe it's been that long.

Anyway, I was wondering about the old ship OXP's, like the Cobra mk IV, and others. Can OXP's be installed on the latest version of Oolite? It seems the latest version comes without an addons folder.

Also, 5 credits used to buy you 200TC of computers AND a nice meal! What happened?

I wasn't sure if this should be in the expansion pack forum or not. I choose this forum because it seems the expansion pack forum is exclusively for discussing the creation of expansion packs.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Current state of OXP's?

Post by phkb »

You can still install old OXP's in the normal way - extracting the "oxpname.oxp" into the AddOns folder. If "AddOns" is not there you can still create it manually. For old ship OXP's you will probably want to include "Shipset Compatibility" expansion from the download manager that updates the role data for old ships to use the new Ai system.

Some old system and station OXP's will need a little tweaking. If they haven't been added to the download manager (and for some, even if they have been) their markets might be empty due to changes in 1.82 that broke backwards compatibility. There are some fixes available for some of these.

As for 5cr for 200t of computers- well, inflation is a killer!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Current state of OXP's?

Post by Disembodied »

Also, be wary of installing some old ship OXPs ... before the Great AI Overhaul, the traditional way to make enemies more challenging was to give them more and more guns and energy - so they were dangerous if you weren't careful, but still dumb as toast and therefore killable. Then the devs uncrossed the NPCs' eyes a little and gave them a smidgen of tactical sense - which made Geckos and Asps challenging and made e.g. Rattle Cutters terrifyingly dangerous. Which is not to say that there isn't a place in the game for powerful enemies - just that people need to be aware that an NPC in a small fast ship armed with one or more military lasers should be treated with far more caution than before.