Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

selectable hud 'radar' icons/sprites

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: selectable hud 'radar' icons/sprites

Post by Norby »

another_commander wrote:
If we could get a writable js variable to turn the ship names on and off then we can make a control equipment for this function.
ClymAngus wrote:
I do like the idea of a switchable mega nav scope
HUDs could define two scanners, a normal and a mega one, using equipment_required to switch between these and show names only when the mega scanner is displayed.
Alternatively the mega scanner could be in the starboard view.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

quicky megahud style :)

Fritz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Fritz »

Zireael wrote:
There's an OXP which changes the lollipop colors for offenders :)
I wonder if there is any idea that hasn't been made into an OXP! :lol:
"You wouldn't kill me just for a few credits, would you?" – "No, I'll do it just for the fun!"
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

another_commander wrote:
I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but would this be a reasonable compromise, given that it's already in the code (dormant though)?
I like that :) . I think you may have explained this before, but I didnt quite understand it at the time: how does one go about turning this on? Is it activated in the source code?

Couple of fairly obvious things
  • combining lollipop colour with text means that 'Dodecahedron Station' need only be 'Dodecahedron' or even 'Dodec' (green colour tells us the station part)
  • As well as the 'turn off when scanner is busy' idea, there could also be a 'reduce text to initials when busy' mode, e.g. 'Gal Cop Viper Interceptor' becomes 'GCVI', or even just 'VI' next to the purple lollipop.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Redspear wrote:
I like that :) . I think you may have explained this before, but I didnt quite understand it at the time: how does one go about turning this on? Is it activated in the source code?
It's very easy. Just open the file HeadUpDisplay.m in a text editor, change the line near the top that reads

Code: Select all

#define IDENTIFY_SCANNER_LOLLIPOPS	(	0	&& !defined(NDEBUG))
to

Code: Select all

#define IDENTIFY_SCANNER_LOLLIPOPS	1
and recompile.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

cbr wrote:
quicky megahud style :)

Man! We gotta dull down that red!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Redspear wrote:
another_commander wrote:
I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but would this be a reasonable compromise, given that it's already in the code (dormant though)?

Couple of fairly obvious things
  • combining lollipop colour with text means that 'Dodecahedron Station' need only be 'Dodecahedron' or even 'Dodec' (green colour tells us the station part)
  • As well as the 'turn off when scanner is busy' idea, there could also be a 'reduce text to initials when busy' mode, e.g. 'Gal Cop Viper Interceptor' becomes 'GCVI', or even just 'VI' next to the purple lollipop.
I love these ideas!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Zireael wrote:
I love these ideas!

I think it just reads from the standard shipdata.plist name at present, so it would likely require a workaround in that case.

I have been trying out this scanner feature and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Yes, occasionally the names get crowded and illegible but rarely to they make lollipops less discernable (at least to any degree of significance).
Often a quick touch of the roll button will move the text sufficiently for it to be readable again when crowded.
It makes mining less confusing ('is that a splinter, a boulder or an asteroid there?') and it even makes mass locks more bearable! It keeps my mind engaged with the ships on a level that doesn't otherwise occur, unless I head towards them to investigate. This way I can decide if I want to investigate, bypass or actively avoid based on important but circumstantial clues.

I think I'll be keeping it a while longer :)