Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! Have you tried Random Ship Names?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cdr_slickov
Average
Average

Post by cdr_slickov »

I have not, but having read about it I will certainly install it once I am docked and saved. Appreciate the welcome and the suggestion. :)
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

cdr_slickov wrote:
Just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself between system hops. Used to play FE2 religiously about 15 years ago on the PC, and I'm very excited to venture out into the customisable world of Oolite.
Religiously, eh?
Oh Thargoids, who art in Witchspace, hallowed be thy five-megawatt pulse laser. Thy will be done, thy cargo run, in Sol, as it is in Ross 154...

Good to see another fan of FE2; I do miss the old Viper (ZZ-013) I used to run courier and military missions with. Oolite's based on the Elite model, so, no real planetary fly-bys or scenery. But, even so, it's got a lot to do and the ability to tailor it to your own tastes with OXP's makes it a winner.

If you ever see a Cobra 2 with my livery docked at a space bar, c'mon by and we'll swap FE2 stories over a mug of something caustic. Welcome aboard, Slickov.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
cdr_slickov
Average
Average

Post by cdr_slickov »

Layne wrote:
cdr_slickov wrote:
Just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself between system hops. Used to play FE2 religiously about 15 years ago on the PC, and I'm very excited to venture out into the customisable world of Oolite.
Religiously, eh?
Oh Thargoids, who art in Witchspace, hallowed be thy five-megawatt pulse laser. Thy will be done, thy cargo run, in Sol, as it is in Ross 154...

Good to see another fan of FE2; I do miss the old Viper (ZZ-013) I used to run courier and military missions with. Oolite's based on the Elite model, so, no real planetary fly-bys or scenery. But, even so, it's got a lot to do and the ability to tailor it to your own tastes with OXP's makes it a winner.

If you ever see a Cobra 2 with my livery docked at a space bar, c'mon by and we'll swap FE2 stories over a mug of something caustic. Welcome aboard, Slickov.
Well met, Commander. :) Yeah, I use to run with a Viper too at one time. Ended up primarily in an Imperial Courier working for His Majesty's Navy...and making a good credit or two on the internal slave routes within the territories of Duvallian space. Not very ethical, but...well, the Empire never really was a paragon of moral virtue, was it? ;)
Cody

Post by Cody »

It's an ill wind that blows against the Empire!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

cdr_slickov wrote:
Well met, Commander. :) Yeah, I use to run with a Viper too at one time. Ended up primarily in an Imperial Courier working for His Majesty's Navy...and making a good credit or two on the internal slave routes within the territories of Duvallian space. Not very ethical, but...well, the Empire never really was a paragon of moral virtue, was it? ;)

Tsk, slaves, never thought that was in good taste. I'm Imperial Military myself, a Viper's a great little ship for range when kitted with a type-3 military drive, and those photography missions were a load of fun, zipping in close for a few candid snap-shots at the Federation bases-- not that I didn't do a few missions for the Feds as well, when it suited me. Countess in the Imperial Navy; Sergeant-Major of the Federation. Not a bad thing to have on a resume.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Amah
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: aboard the Laenina Crowne - Yasen-N class space freighter

Post by Amah »

Ah, another fellow captain working for his majesty Emporer Hengist Duval. Flew a Imperial Trader back then... (which came with fixed engines, but you were only able to change if you broke it and had it replaced then) :-)

Amah

Ps. You might like ADCK eagles, Bulk Haulers and FFe2 ships or Detrien's BBS ships...And you might like following comic... http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Comic/comic.html
Amah
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome cdr_slickov!

There are helpers for your log:
[wiki]Commanders Log[/wiki]
[wiki]CommsLogMFD[/wiki]
Explorers' Club
[wiki]Flight Log[/wiki]
[wiki]LogEvents[/wiki]
[wiki]Trophy Collector[/wiki]
cdr_slickov
Average
Average

Post by cdr_slickov »

Layne wrote:
Tsk, slaves, never thought that was in good taste. I'm Imperial Military myself, a Viper's a great little ship for range when kitted with a type-3 military drive, and those photography missions were a load of fun, zipping in close for a few candid snap-shots at the Federation bases-- not that I didn't do a few missions for the Feds as well, when it suited me. Countess in the Imperial Navy; Sergeant-Major of the Federation. Not a bad thing to have on a resume.
Oh, tremendously bad taste, but highly profitable in the Empire. I recall retiring at the rank of Sir within the Imperial Navy at the time, and with a rather well-sized bounty on my head within the Federal territories after I jumped the border and wiped out the entire police detachment of Mackenzie High orbiter in Beta Hydri.

Totally on my own volition of course; the Imperial Navy would never sanction such a mission, naturally...
cdr_slickov
Average
Average

Post by cdr_slickov »

Amah wrote:
Ah, another fellow captain working for his majesty Emporer Hengist Duval. Flew a Imperial Trader back then... (which came with fixed engines, but you were only able to change if you broke it and had it replaced then) :-)

Amah

Ps. You might like ADCK eagles, Bulk Haulers and FFe2 ships or Detrien's BBS ships...And you might like following comic... http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Comic/comic.html
Ah, the Trader...that was a beast and a half. I recall them having a fitted drive; the Empire didn't seem to like the idea of civvies and reservists getting their hands on a milspec version.

I'll take a look at those links, thanks. :)
cdr_slickov
Average
Average

Post by cdr_slickov »

Norby wrote:
Welcome cdr_slickov!

There are helpers for your log:
[wiki]Commanders Log[/wiki]
[wiki]CommsLogMFD[/wiki]
Explorers' Club
[wiki]Flight Log[/wiki]
[wiki]LogEvents[/wiki]
[wiki]Trophy Collector[/wiki]
Thankyou Commander! Much obliged for the suggestions.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day cdr_slickov, and welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cdr_slickov
Average
Average

Post by cdr_slickov »

Diziet Sma wrote:
G'day cdr_slickov, and welcome aboard! 8)
Thankyou Commander! Safe flying out there. :)
sprocket
Average
Average

Post by sprocket »

hello to all...

I also am an ELITE from 1985...took six months, thank you...

I found the ELITE game on a 5-1/4" IBM floppy for my Apple IIE computer in a Radio Shack store at the Mall.

...still wish I had that...

Found the game once again in a game file hidden in my IBM laptop, it was called Oolite, based on the original game ELITE.

Did all the updates, downloads, expansion packs...

Graphics are good, play is good...

...another day...sprocket...
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome sprocket!

We would be happy if you tell about your game stories in the Tales from the spacelanes topic.