Chart issues with Retina displays

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Chart issues with Retina displays

Post by kanthoney »

There's a known issue with 1.82 on Macs with retina displays that affects the chart. We couldn't fix it properly as we're a bit short on Mac developers, especially ones with retina displays, but we did manage a workaround. This is to issue the following command from the terminal:

Code: Select all

defaults write org.aegidian.oolite issue_136_fix -bool YES
More info on github.

(Is this worth a sticky? It might be a regular bug report.)

(Edit: get the command right. Thanks, Getafix!)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Chart issues with Retina displays

Post by Getafix »

For anyone, with a retina display, who is willing to test kanthoney's new approach on this case (the one that does not need the presence of the issue_136_fix key in the defaults file), I have prepared a binary that can be downloaded from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__DrF ... sp=sharing

Important Note: To test that binary, you need to ensure the issue_136_fix key is NOT in your defaults file, by executing

Code: Select all

$ defaults delete org.aegidian.oolite issue_136_fix
before :!: running the downloaded binary.

EDIT #1: This binary has a watermark indicating that it is a test for issue #152.
EDIT #2: Just to clarify (or make it worse :P ) issues #136 and #152 describe the same case. Issue #136 had been addressed by a code quick fix needing also the use of the key issue_136_fix in the defaults file. Issue #152 has been opened and identified as a duplicate. However, since Issue #136 had been closed (in the rush of the Oolite 1.82 release preparation), kanthoney took the opportunity to use Issue #152 to try a proper solution.
Last edited by Getafix on Thu May 28, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Stickified.
netmute
Harmless
Harmless

Post by netmute »

Hi everyone.
I downloaded the test build. The galactic chart is now visible again on my retina Mac.
Feel free to send any coming retina test builds my way, I'm glad to help :)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Thank you and welcome aboard commander netmute!
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

What the Penguinista said!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
staggerlee
Competent
Competent

Post by staggerlee »

Hmmm. Brand new iMac retina 27" 3.5ghz won't display the galactic chart. I DLed the binary from Getafix, but now have this problem (note galactic chart still doesn't work). I have not tried any other fixes yet. Just reporting this.
The whole game is in the bottom left corner (this stays the same when in fullscreen).

http://i.imgur.com/Zr3TjF9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HUz6KZH.jpg
llima3000
Harmless
Harmless

Post by llima3000 »

I just installed this development version and got the following behavior: When I go out from full screen mode and come back the screen is only showed in 1/4 of the screen. Then I need to change from desktops (desktop 1 to 2 and come back) to fix the screen again...

Thanks and regards!

Life long and prosper!