How to build Oolite source on Mac

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

How to build Oolite source on Mac

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've noticed that while there are stickied threads with detailed instructions for building Oolite on Windows and Linux, there is no equivalent thread for Macs. There are the very basic instructions on the Wiki, (which could use updating as well) but that is all. Particularly since the move to Github, perhaps such a thread is in order?

I have a project in mind which might be made easier if I do the work on my old MacBook, but without an up-to-date guide to go by, this is going to be a bit of a hit-and-miss affair, methinks. And surely there have to be at least a few other Mac owners adventurous enough to try compiling from source?

If one of the Mac wizards posts a guide here, feel free to delete this initial post.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: How to build Oolite source on Mac

Post by JensAyton »

• Install Xcode. These days, it lives on the App Store.
  • In the terminal: git clone https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite.git
  • cd oolite
  • git submodule update --init --recursive
  • open Oolite.xcodeproj
  • Press the Run button in the toolbar.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Heh.. can't get much simpler than that.. thanks, Jens! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
webbasan
Average
Average
Location: Mundito Rosinante - a small world at the border of the city.

Post by webbasan »

Hmm, I tried that and discovered that it currently does not work out of the box:

The linker complains about missing symbols related to OOStandaloneAtmosphereGenerator.

It was obvious for me that it was missing as part of the build and I found that it was included in the Makefile -- but not in the XCode project apparently...

It's the first time since two years that I try to do something with XCode - I missed 4.x and this was the first launch of my 5.x installation -- so I had some trouble to find my way through the new GUI and gave up on it (seems that I have to go through some "how-to" first... :? ). Fortunately I also have AppCode installed and it was easier for me to find the correct method there to add the files to the project: I have my first build of the trunk version... :)

So, if somebody with write access to the repository would be so kind to correct that little issue... Thanks in advance.

Apart from that: Thanks for all the good stuff, and for still keeping Oolite alive and kicking even with E:D at the horizon... ;-)

And especially a big thanks for the joystick support for the Mac: my X52pro is working like a charm with it! :D
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

webbasan wrote:
Hmm, I tried that and discovered that it currently does not work out of the box:
Ah. Sorry about that - unfortunately there's no way without a Mac to add extra files to the project, so when one of us Linux or Windows -based developers adds one, it will temporarily break the Mac build. (The other way round is fine, because the Mac devs can just add the entry into the makefile)

Hopefully one of the Mac devs will be around soon to fix it.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Done.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thanks. I shall try to remember this needs doing when I add new files, next time.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Just downloaded oolite-source-1.80.tar.bz2 and tried to build the default (debug) target in XCode 4.6.2 running on OS X
10.8.5. I get the compile error:

/path/to/src/oolite-1.80/oolite-source-1.80/src/Core/GameController.m:48:9: 'Sparkle/Sparkle.h' file not found

Is the xcode project supposed to build in XCode 4.6.2? Does this "Sparkle" need to be separately installed?
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

I've also downloaded XCode 5.1.1, and found the same problem. Unless I'm missing something, the 1.80 Oolite source release xcode project is broken for building on Mac OS X: the Sparkle framework is missing from the project (it's referenced in the project, but is missing and shown in red in XCode).

I donwloaded Sparkle-v1.80 (coincidence!) and added it to the Frameworks/linked frameworks in the XCode project, and removed the missing (red) Sparkle framework reference, and the build then succeeded.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

I also had a problem with Sparkle, and pthreads.

However

Code: Select all

git submodule update --init
pulls in any missing dependencies. That takes longer to download than the oolite part does. :-)

So I've just built it under XCode 6.4 without needing to change anything at all... 283 warnings but no errors. And it runs!

(This Mac is old enough to have an actual HDD with moving parts, so when I say "build" it's at roughly the same speed as building pyramids...)