adding OXP's to oolite 1.82

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

imernator
Poor
Poor

adding OXP's to oolite 1.82

Post by imernator »

firstly I'm loving this game, in particular playing with the addons. the ingame menu to add OXZ's is really useful but there are some old OXP's i woud really like to use, inparticular the old missions like galactic navy, long way round and Black barrons

The problem is with 1.82 there is no addon folder where you can add OXP's. and i can't find any tutorial of info on how to add OXP's in 1.82.

can anyone help?

it might be useful to know i am using a macbook air - not sure if this changes anything.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: adding OXP's to oolite 1.82

Post by Cody »

Hi, and welcome! There should be an AddOns folder in 1.82 - there certainly is on Windows - and most OXPs work as normal from said AddOns folder.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Mac user, so I've no idea how things work there.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi imernator - welcome to the Board.
Yes, there will be an AddOns folder somewhere, but like Cody I am not a mac user but I think the details here are still current.
Be warned, some older OXPs will not work properly with v1.82 - there may be minor issues or they could break things significantly, and this may be why they are not available via the manager. There is a constant updating process going on though, so some or all may get fixed in time.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The Mac version creates an AddOns folder at ~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/

Apologies if you know this already, but I keep forgetting about it: recent versions of OSX hide the Library folder by default. The quick way of seeing it is to use the Go menu in Finder: pressing Alt will add the Library folder to the list.

Or you can just make another AddOns folder inside the folder that contains Oolite (remembering that the Mac is case-sensitive, so call it AddOns, not Addons or addons or addOns or ADDONS, etc.) and put manually selected OXPs in there. The game reads both AddOns folders, according to the [wiki]OXP[/wiki] page on the wiki.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Just to add: OXZs downloaded from the Wiki, not from the manager, will also work from within the AddOns folder.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
imernator
Poor
Poor

Post by imernator »

Thanks for the welcome.

No addon folder - I have searched extensively.
Sorry to be stupid but where exactly do I create a new folder? I have an oolite 1.82 file which has the application, extras and documentation. Shall I just created a new folder here? Or shall I open the application package contents?

If the old oxp's were updated to oxz's that would be amazing - there are not many missions for noobs, and I think they are a great way to get into the game.

On a similar note - I added random hits, but there are no pirate space bars in the anarchy systems and similarly I added the black monks but their bases haven't appeared either. Any idea what's happening?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Just make an AddOns folder inside the folder which contains Oolite - no need to (and indeed strong reasons not to) make it inside the application package contents!
imernator
Poor
Poor

Post by imernator »

great thank you!

I have created the folder and am on my way to Biarge to see if 'long way OXP' has worked
imernator
Poor
Poor

Post by imernator »

you bunch of beauties!!! it worked

maybe ill put the OXZ's that don't seem to be working in here also.
imernator
Poor
Poor

Post by imernator »

they should make sure that file is in the Mac download for oolite 1.82.
Ramen
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Ramen »

imernator wrote:
they should make sure that file is in the Mac download for oolite 1.82.
I honestly don't know why the AddOns folder isn't automatically created. It really makes no sense. Anyway, welcome to the board. :) If you wish to come to the darkside (OXP writing), the cookies are on the left. We don't have milk though. (I'm still mad about that one.)
That is not my desk.
I find this lack of milk... disturbing.