Thunderbirds Are Back!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Thunderbirds Are Back!

Post by ffutures »

It's a real pity that they keep mucking up scale etc. in shots - at the end of the Fireflash episode they're walking past the nose of the plane and it looks tiny, not a huge jetliner that should dwarf them.

You also have to wonder why they're standing around rather than checking the passengers for injuries, putting foam down on the spilled fuel, etc...

The next episode with London blacked out was better, though I find it difficult to imagine any way you could crash-land near Trafalgar Square without squashing a few cars - when I had a motorbike I had trouble finding room for that in that area!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I eventually caught an episode ("Runaway") of this series.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

OK, we've had two more space episodes - Last week's set on and around Thunderbird 5 and owing more than a little to 2001, this week TB3 rescuing an asteroid miner. Both OK episodes, though as usual they really seem to have no idea of scale and the sheer size of the universe. So far that's 3 episodes out of 9 set in space, and no. 11 next week is apparently going to be a high-altitude rescue involving TB3 and TB5 (episode 10 is showing today (Sunday 24th) for some reason).

It's nice that they're setting so many episodes in space, but I really wish they'd pay just a little more attention to things like inertia, speed, and so forth; while I'm sure kids have no problems suspending their disbelief, I'm finding it a bit difficult.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

ffutures wrote:
...as usual they really seem to have no idea of scale and the sheer size of the universe. ... I really wish they'd pay just a little more attention to things like inertia, speed, and so forth..
Such things don't bother me - I play Oolite :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Smivs wrote:
ffutures wrote:
...as usual they really seem to have no idea of scale and the sheer size of the universe. ... I really wish they'd pay just a little more attention to things like inertia, speed, and so forth..
Such things don't bother me - I play Oolite :D
But even in Oolite you have some basic rules on how things behave - the new Thunderbirds seems to make them up as it goes.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

ffutures wrote:
...you have some basic rules on how things behave...
Well, they behave as though they are dangling on strings! Seriously the more I watch these the more impressed I am by the way they have tried to recreate the feel of the original series (which used real models and the marionettes) with the CGI. It ain't perfect, but it's fun! :)
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Smivs wrote:
the more I watch these the more impressed I am by the way they have tried to recreate the feel of the original series (which used real models and the marionettes) with the CGI. It ain't perfect, but it's fun!
I'm with Smivs. It's clunkiness is just enough for my nostalgia fix, although I still think Grandma Tracy is better as a wisened old lady rather than the new-age power oldie she is now. I saw the London blackout episode last night, and you have to suspend a lot of disbelief to make it work. TB2 clipping Nelson's hat and spinning down a London avenue curiously free of vehicles and pulling into a parallel parking position (a la Top Gear Stig or Mr Incredible mobile home style), where only a little way away Penelope and Parker were stuck in traffic, might be hard to swallow, but as Smiv says was a bit of fun :D

On a completely unrelated topic: Wildblood - nice avatar pic :wink:
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

SteveKing wrote:
On a completely unrelated topic: Wildeblood - nice avatar pic :wink:
It's the new touchy, feely me, to appease Mr Redspear. How did you know I was reading this topic at the exact moment you posted?
SteveKing wrote:
TB2 clipping Nelson's hat and spinning down a London avenue curiously free of vehicles and pulling into a parallel parking position (a la Top Gear Stig or Mr Incredible mobile home style), where only a little way away Penelope and Parker were stuck in traffic, might be hard to swallow, but as Smiv says was a bit of fun :D
That where should be a when.

I didn't watch last night; I unusually remembered it was on, but decided not to watch. The runaway train episode was enough for me. The idea of Grandma Tracy as hoody and ugg-boot wearing bogan who can't cook is too confronting for me.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
SERCOland
Nice to see I'm not the only one aware of the inroads those bastards are making in this country (and many others).
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Wildeblood wrote:
How did you know I was reading this topic at the exact moment you posted?
Isn't that what the footer of the thread is supposed to tell me - I knew you were logged on (as was Cody at the time).
Wildeblood wrote:
I meant it spatially rather than timely given they were supposed to have been within walking distance of each other, but you didn't see the ep so couldn't know. Having said that though, as I think I've said in some other thread on the board (and my lovely wife regularly points out), my English could be better :roll:
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

SteveKing wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
I meant it spatially rather than timely given they were supposed to have been within walking distance of each other, but you didn't see the ep so couldn't know. Having said that though, as I think I've said in some other thread on the board (and my lovely wife regularly points out), my English could be better :roll:
Fascinating. (Where is the Spock raising one eyebrow smiley?) I'd blog about this, if I had a blog. I've started another topic to avoid further thread-jacking this discussion of Thunderbirds Are Go.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
SteveKing wrote:
It's the new touchy, feely me...
And this is supposed to reassure us? :lol:
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

I wouldn't do this ordinarily, but

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Well, episode 11 showed us some of the capabilities of Thunderbird 5 I wasn't previously aware of - most notably, that they can send down a space elevator to get supplies etc. rather than using Thunderbird 3 as in the original series. They can also send the elevator up/down in a few minutes - that seems just a little iffy somehow, given you have to have a geostationary space station to make this work, but maybe they're keeping it geostationary in a low earth orbit somehow.

The rescue was a stratospheric weather station supported on balloons filled with superheated hydrogen for extra lift (theoretically possible but you REALLY wouldn't want to do it if you had any common sense - fortunately the station's designer was shown as an idiot who hated safety systems, so that sort of worked) which got up so high that they had real problems reaching it with the usual Thunderbirds. In the end they used the space elevator from Thunderbird 5 to fish it UP into space - this involved revving up the gravitational wheel to 25g so that they could use the whole thing as a reel to pull in the cable. Why this doesn't kill its occupant or squash the station like a bug is not made clear, except for them making a point about Brains building in BIG safety margins for things like the cable.

Overall, very silly indeed, but good fun.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Smivs wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
SteveKing wrote:
It's the new touchy, feely me...
And this is supposed to reassure us? :lol:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:twisted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!