Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by spara »

Griff wrote:
I've updated the station bundle oxp from v1.1 to v1.2 to include Spara's shipdata.plist fix to make the OXP work with Oolite v1.80 and higher.
I've also moved the OXP from deephorizons.com to my shared folder at box.com and updated the links on the Wiki.

Here's the new shipdata.plist that will patch the station bundle oxp from v1.1 to v1.2, just unzip it and put it into the Config folder in the OXP, saves having to download 91MB of data just for a 3 Kb text file
https://app.box.com/s/jn4oamzgxaud1ia25ml1cuqz37j2rc6i
Is there some reason not uploading it to the wiki as an OXZ and adding it to the download manager?

And to make it fully work with Oolite 1.81, it needs to be fixed a little more. Get the fix here: https://app.box.com/s/bg254uiw2lom37ewan0clfd5j5y1efx7. This fix will also work with Oolite 1.80, so the OXP can be safely updated with it.
Stormprooter
Poor
Poor

Post by Stormprooter »

Hi Griff,

I am going to be cheeky and just ask you if it's OK for me to swipe your models to put into a FreeSpace2 Mod I'm considering putting together.

Thanks.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Thief! <grins> Hey Stormprooter - welcome! Griff usually has no problem with people swiping his models, but a PM might attract his attention sooner.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Stormprooter
Poor
Poor

Post by Stormprooter »

Cody wrote:
Thief! <grins> Hey Stormprooter - welcome! Griff usually has no problem with people swiping his models, but a PM might attract his attention sooner.
Job done. Seems he's a fellow Welshman too. Da iawn :D
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

There's some trouble with Thargoid 1.04.1 and Thargon 1.04.1. Griff_Thargoid defines missile_role to be "griff_robot_thargon" and Griff_Thargon on the other hand defines it's own roles leaving out "EQ_THARGON". This seems to incapacitate launched thargons, they just float around. At least in trunk.

Suggested fix:

* Remove

Code: Select all

missile_role = "griff_robot_thargon";
from griff_thargoid-NPC. Let it come from core definitions. That way there can be other Thargon models too.

* Remove

roles = "griff_robot_thargon tharglet thargon";
from griff_tharglet-NPC. Let them come from core definitions. Alternatively include "EQ_THARGON" as one if it's roles.

* Remove equipment.plist from Tharglet. It's not needed with the change above.
* Remove shipdata-overrides from both. That should be left to the Suppressor.
Cody

Post by Cody »

The Gecko ain't a player-flyable ship, is it? I've just seen one for sale at Leisinma!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

@Cody - hmm, no it shouldn't be - sounds like i've got something wrong in the roles somewhere - unless, do you have the griff_npc_playerflyable oxp installed? - that will add it in as a playber flyable ship - although you probably would have seen them for sale a lot sooner by now, i'll have a dig through the files on the weekend

@spara - Thanks for the awesome Thargoids oxp bug fix, sorry for not replying sooner - i'll get that added into the oxp on the weekend :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

No, no unlock OXP installed - and Mambas are appearing for sale too!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

right, it looks like I've put player flyable versions of Kraits and Mambas etc in the relevant OXP's up on Box :oops: I've no idea why I've done that rather than put them into a separate OXP, i can only think I left them in whilst testing the oxp or something, i'll get that sorted this evening
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

OK, i've taken the player flyable versions out of the following OXP's and re-uploaded them to box https://app.box.com/s/cigqflqenyoe4a3zr571y3hrrbwne07c

Griff_Gecko_v1.04.3.zip
Griff_Krait_v1.04.3.zip
Griff_Mamba_v1.04.3.zip
Griff_Mamba2013_v1.04.3.zip
Griff_Sidewinder_v1.04.3.zip
I've added the following oxp "griff_shipset_player_flyable_NPC_ships_v2.04.zip" to the same folder, this will add the player flyable version back into the game. Note: this OXP doesn't contain any mesh or texture files so you'll need the OXPs listed above for it to work

I've also added Spara's fix for inactive tharglets into the Tharglet & Thargoid OXPs and re-uploaded them, same folder as above
Cody

Post by Cody »

<doffs sombrero> Muchas gracias, amigo! Question: were you thinking of doing a revamp of your Iceteroid a while back?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

@Cody - my mudbox trial ran out before I could get the hang of sculpting things properly :lol: might have to try again when the demo of the new version comes out later this year!

Apologies for the large gif! I've done a bit of work on adding a bit of extra scuffing & dirt to the ship texture shader, hopefully things will work out ok in game, i might have to pop back and get some maths help on converting the 'tradeInFactor (int 75-100)' shader uniform to a floating point number between 0.0000 - 1.000 for the player ship version of the shader

At the moment the 'random paint' colour on these ships is actually a blend of two different paint colours (in the above example it's a mix of red and green paint, yuk) this blend is just to get a bit of extra 'interest' in the ship texture. As the ship ages the shader weights the blend towards one of the two paints, in the above example the red paint is becoming more dominant - i'm not sure if i should keep this in - might look a bit weird?)
at the same time a grey 'dust/dirt' texture is being mixed in over the top dulling everything and then later on as the maintenance level increases a 'chipped paint' patchy grey texture gets added in. and the engine glow effect starts getting random white flashes to suggest some sort of misfiring or something like that - i'm having trouble keeping this effect fairly subtle though so i might have to have a rethink.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Impressive!
Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods> I was about to say exactly that!
Day
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Day »

Me too!