Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Suicidal AIs?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Suicidal AIs?

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hello

I just noticed more suicidal pilots so thought I'd mention it in case it is a problem. The first time was the other day and was quite funny. I was either waiting to dock or whatever but I watched a steady stream of GalCop vipers emerge from the station and fly straight into the navigation beacon. Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! The fifth or sixth did do something different and avoided this fate.

Just now I saw three random ships - clean, a Krait, a Cobra something and another one - flying very close to the planet and sure enough one blew up. I think these are either thugs hanging around to attack couriers or bounty hunters, the flying was not straight towards the planet/station.

Both situations seem a bit daft but I feel a bit bad; my programming is at the "10 print bum 20 goto 10 run" level so I don't feel I have much of a right to criticise. Still, the behaviour is presumably not what is expected.

Cheers

Richard
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Suicidal AIs?

Post by another_commander »

What OXPs are you running? I guess we are talking game version 1.80, right?
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hi, yes, 1.80, forgot to mention. The only oxp is supercobra but I think I saw the behaviour before installing that. Can't be quite sure of that as it was around the time I got to 1.6 million that I noticed the coppers killing themselves.

Cheers

Richard
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I've also seen some suicidal behaviour, but in a Fer-de-lance that was running away on injectors. I was chasing him, also on injectors, and he ran straight into the planet. Boom. A bit annoying, as I didn't get credit for the kill or the bounty.
KroSha
Poor
Poor

Post by KroSha »

I've had something slightly suicidal, but still strange. Several times, I've been attacked by a Hognose, right on the station's doorstep. Usually, he comms something insulting and opens fire. Roughly 30 secs later, he's dust, either from me, or the nest of Vipers that barrels out of the dock. No real danger, and a seemingly pointless attack.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

KroSha wrote:
Usually, he comms something insulting and opens fire. Roughly 30 secs later, he's dust, either from me, or the nest of Vipers that barrels out of the dock.
Those are the mad Holy Joes in the Hognoses - either they want to kill you or convert you!
I had one last night who accused me of eating his brother, then lobbed a hardhead at me!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
KroSha
Poor
Poor

Post by KroSha »

OK, that fits.