Extremely Slooooooowwwww download speed??

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

bellssn690
Harmless
Harmless

Extremely Slooooooowwwww download speed??

Post by bellssn690 »

Hi All,

Noob here that used to play Elite back in the day and amazed to find that there is a way to play this again!! However, I seem to be able to reach a download speed of only about 5.5 - 7.0Kb/sec?? Am I missing something here or doing something wrong? I have an Apple MBP with an i7 quad and 8Gb of ram and I've NEVER come up on anything that was ever this slow during downloading. I'm currently downloading other programs that blow this out of the water so I know it isn't my internet. Is there something I should know or do that I'm not? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I so badly want to start playing this again but it still seems to be just out of reach with continual "failed" messages after about 25 minutes and about 4Mb downloaded.

Please, if anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful!! Thank you!

Cheers,

Phil
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Extremely Slooooooowwwww download speed??

Post by Venator Dha »

Welcome bellssn690, always good to see a Mac user :D , you'll defiantly get the best out of Oolite with that set-up.
Oolite is a game based on the original Elite, and has the same flavour, it has however evolved (and is still doing so) into an even better experience. Check out the OXP's which you can use to tailor your Ooniverse with, but stick to the eye-candy at first, some can change the game and make it very difficult for an inexperienced pilot.
I can't help you with the download issue - just checked and I'm getting 260KB/sec (which is maxing out my connection) so it suggests your problem lies somewhere between the server and your computer.
Good luck commander.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Extremely Slooooooowwwww download speed??

Post by Getafix »

Hello bellssn690, do you still have this issue?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]