Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

various equipment questions

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: various equipment questions

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
Back to the point, having

Code: Select all

"installation_time" = 0;
in the equipment.pist doesn't do anything. Is there not a zero-option or have I mis-understood something?
"0" means "use the default value calculated from the price", at the moment. "1" will work...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ah, yes. I wouldn't have guessed that!
1 works fine, thanks. Perhaps I'll make it one minute though as 1 second also seems a bit silly.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

...and another one.
Is it possible to 'de-activate' (un-prime?) primed equipment via script - if possible I would like the Tea Maker to turn itself off after it has made your cuppa :)
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

I think it's more important to have a case where every once in a while, the tea maker starts talking to your ship's computer & all your controls lock up for 20 minutes or so.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

fronclynne wrote:
I think it's more important to have a case where every once in a while, the tea maker starts talking to your ship's computer & all your controls lock up for 20 minutes or so.
On the other hand, if you don't like surprises, you'd best keep the tea maker well away from your finite improbability generator!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Can you imagine the 'internet of things' on your ship becoming self-aware? Can you imagine how much fun it wouldn't be if it had a sense of humour? :?
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Smivs wrote:
Can you imagine the 'internet of things' on your ship becoming self-aware? Can you imagine how much fun it wouldn't be if it had a sense of humour? :?
Micropayments.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Haha, that was one of the better outcomes I'd considered. :D

BTW did my question (above) get overlooked....
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Smivs wrote:
...and another one.
Is it possible to 'de-activate' (un-prime?) primed equipment via script - if possible I would like the Tea Maker to turn itself off after it has made your cuppa :)
Not really - it might be the only primable equipment on the ship, for example. Removing it and reawarding it will sometimes do the job.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

OK, thanks, it's not really that important - it's power consumption on stand-by is minimal :P
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Can you imagine how much fun it wouldn't be if it had a sense of humour? :?
Hah! For some reason, when I read this, the first thing that popped into my mind was Mike, the AI in Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, of whom Mannie says "His idea of thigh-slapper would be to ... put itch powder in pressure suit." :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Ngalo »

I hope you won't mind me adding a question of my own here:
What exactly determines the order equipment appears in 'player.ship.equipment'? I've worked out that the equipment list shown on F5 is basically the reverse order of player.ship.equipment, except passenger berths are last and weapons are added after them. What I can't see is what determines where in the list an item gets inserted; the same item always seems to get the same place regardless of whether it's bought or awarded by script and regardless of what order the items are added in. The order doesn't seem to be alphabetical by equipment key or name, either.

I'm asking because I'm trying to implement the 'equipment space' concept discussed here and I want to have my script put a couple of special equipment items at the top of the F5 list to display text like:
Equipment:
5 Racks Occupied
Of 32 Maximum
  • I can get the items in question to be awarded correctly, they just won't show up in the right place (or the right order)!
    Incidentally, I've already found the 'sort_order' key doesn't seem to affect the F5 equipment list.
Equal Rights for NPCs!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Ngalo wrote:
Incidentally, I've already found the 'sort_order' key doesn't seem to affect the F5 equipment list.
It should (bear in mind once I've fixed it that F5 is sorted descending and F3 is sorted ascending). I'll try to get a fix for this in this weekend.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Looking at it, this seems to be working for me.

The default sort order value if not specified is 1000, not zero. If you set sort_order = 10000; on the equipment it should put it to the top of the F5 list (and the end of player.ship.equipment and the F3 purchase screen).

The ordering is:
sort_order, then tech level, then price, then OXP loading order (uncontrollable), then position in equipment.plist file.
Ngalo
Competent
Competent

Post by Ngalo »

Thanks cim, I'll give that a go.
I did eventually start to suspect I'd simply gotten the sort_order wrong, but only long after posting the above and logging off.
The combination of reverse order and default of 1000 would perfectly explain why my equipment data didn't work as expected.

Edit: Sorry for wasting your time with a mistaken bug hunt.
Equipment Space OXP is more or less working now and if I can figure out where best to host it you might get a beta release some time in the next few weeks.
Once again, thanks for your help.