Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Combat Guide

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Combat Guide

Post by OneoftheLost »

Is there such a thing? Maybe a page on the wiki where experienced pilots can show off their strategies and essential kit? Im a fairly terrible pilot, but I could easily give my survival strategies to a newcomer. I think it would be cool of we could send folks who are havin troubles to a comprensive list of strategies and such from the more experienced players.

Has this been done before?
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Combat Guide

Post by Disembodied »

There are a variety of threads around here where players offer combat tips, but I don't think it's ever been assembled into a single page. Sounds worthwhile to me!
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

There is also the natural reaction of the members to the spoilers. Thus when there are, though, helpful replies that are sensitive to the matter, they'll use the rot13 language :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander_X wrote:
There is also the natural reaction of the members to the spoilers. Thus when there are, though, helpful replies that are sensitive to the matter, they'll use the rot13 language :wink:
That really only tends to happen when the subject is a specific solution to a difficulty with a mission OXP.. so not really applicable for the kind of things that would appear in a Combat Guide. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

When I was new to Oolite, I had no difficulties at all to find some usefull hints in this forum, how to start. This included trading, avoiding eney traffic, how to use injectors etc.

The ingame tactic varies with your own skill, with the enemies skill, with the number and type of enemy ships, with your equipment and last not least with the Oolite version.

In general I think, tactic can be summoned as follows: Keep some distace and reduce the number of enemies by using your rear lase until the number is so low that you can keep up with the enemy in close combat dog fight. This number depends on the beforementioned items.

A group of 5 sidewinder ships with beam lasers is handled much differently than a group of 5 highly skilled OXP generated pirates each with military lasers themselves. But you should not install such kind of OXP until you know what you are doing anyway.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

OneoftheLost wrote: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:57 pm
Is there such a thing? Maybe a page on the wiki where experienced pilots can show off their strategies and essential kit? I'm a fairly terrible pilot, but I could easily give my survival strategies to a newcomer. I think it would be cool of we could send folks who are having troubles to a comprehensive list of strategies and such from the more experienced players.

Has this been done before?
Oolite Tactics (page created in 2006, massively added to from 2017 onwards).

There are also specific pages for

Laser Tactics
Missile Tactics
Using weapons of mass destruction
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?