Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galaxy Jumps

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rhakka
Above Average
Above Average

Galaxy Jumps

Post by Rhakka »

Hey, it's been a looooong time since I played the original elite, so I forget. Is jumping to higher number galaxies like "upping the difficulity level"? That is, do they get more difficult (and have greater rewards)?

I got thinking about this as I sun skim a lot and have never run into other ships doing the same, and I remember in the old elite occasionally running into packs of other ships skimming fuel or attacking skimmers. Then it occurred to me that maybe I was in "higher level" galaxies in the old elite.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

No, it's not a 'upper level' as far as I know. It's just that mission are homed in different galaxies.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

in the old elite, the action was player-centric
(eg ships are intantaneously generated near the player, when an encounter is wanted),

in Oolite the action is not player-centric.
(eg. systems are populated independent of the player and ships follow their own agenda).

Even though the systems are small in Oolite, the likelyhood of encountering ships outside the shippinglanes is fairly small.

In old-leet, if you wanted action, you went to a sun. in oolite you need to go to the witchpoint. (or install pirate-coves.)
Riding the Rocket!
Rhakka
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Rhakka »

ah, interesting. thanks for the info!