Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galactic Navy [question]

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Navy [question]

Post by ralph_hh »

So far I've done only one mission. The OXP ist still functional. So, why remove it.
I found some posts yesterday how to correct two bugs in the mission display, obviously the shipname had a different js variable now and the score is counted differently. I still have to check, if the offered solution works. Maybe one could add this little fix to the wiki (do not change the oxp files, just explain how a user could do it himself) without violating any copyright.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=240
post from Eric Walsh, Feb 4th 2013
The user who asked claimed it dit not fully work though.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

It would be super cool, if someone would remake some of the missions and expand Behemoth oxp so that you can access the missions from there. I'm not fond of navy patrols or seccoms, but a choice of militaristic missions/career would be cool.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I think it would be a shame if development and maintenance of galactic navy were to cease. For me it is one of the KEY expansions for Oolite and I honestly couldn't imagine playing the game without it. :(

Although the work on HMISN looks quite promising, the design ethos of that is very different from the galactic navy and the claim made by Smivs....
Smivs wrote:
Or just wait till something better comes along. (Might be quite a long wait though :( )
....simply doesn't ring true for me.

I'd love to see this OXP updated, but that clearly isn't going to happen in any sort of direct way without the license agreement.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Sendraks wrote:
Although the work on HMISN looks quite promising, the design ethos of that is very different from the galactic navy...
True, and very intentionally so.
I did have GN installed for some time, but the over-bearing military presence is silly to my mind in terms of credibility, and the gameplay distortions ( eg affecting things like pirate numbers etc) are too great. Also I found the missions (with one exception) to be tedious and repetitive, and I'm not even going to start on the market distortions. I can't deny the popularity of GN though - each to his own.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Smivs wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
Although the work on HMISN looks quite promising, the design ethos of that is very different from the galactic navy...
I did have GN installed for some time, but the over-bearing military presence is silly to my mind in terms of credibility, and the gameplay distortions ( eg affecting things like pirate numbers etc) are too great. Also I found the missions (with one exception) to be tedious and repetitive, and I'm not even going to start on the market distortions. I can't deny the popularity of GN though - each to his own.
WHat's up with the market thing then? Did not notice anything yet...

Is there any SIMPLE way to adjust the number of pirates?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Re the market, the SecCom stations sell stuff (equipment) really cheap, particularly if you buy Bonds or some-such. You can make a lot of money just buying missiles etc at the SecCom and popping over to the Main Station to sell them again. Even if you are just buying them for yourself, it's still a bit of a cheat because of the cost saving. They also pay well over the odds for Thargons, so can be a real money-spinner if you scoop loads of them.

Re pirates, the problem is the Navy thinks it's a Police Force and attacks pirates etc just like the Police do. If you are following one of those numerous carrier groups in to the planet, there will be no pirates, 'cos the Navy have cleaned them all out. Also, it doesn't help if you are bit less than Clean yourself.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

It's very profitable to sell radioactives to the navy. That combined with the close proximity of the main station and we're back to my current favorite subject :) .
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Ah, I see. Well yes, that are two things that are not so convinient indeed.
Mayboe one could limit the presence of the Navy to the Navy base systems and the occasional mission scenario system.

Edit: The Price difference in radioactives is around 20Cr. Combined with a 35t cargo bay that's 700Crmax. Usually there is less for sale, benefit around 400. You can't save at that Station. You can not buy another round of material until you completely leave the System and come back. Not too much of an exploit.
Last edited by ralph_hh on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Smivs wrote:
Yes I know that, but it is also why HMISN is neither better than nor a replacement for the Gal Navy expansion. It is a different expansion that caters to different tastes and expectations.

As you say, each to their own.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Sendraks wrote:
...HMISN is neither better than nor a replacement for the Gal Navy expansion.
Better? Well, viewed subjectively that depends on what the user wants - we agree on that.
Objectively, (and this is what I meant in the context of the thread), it will be better than the current GN simply because it will be much newer. The same way a 2015 Ford Mondeo is better than a 1980 Ford Cortina. The scripting will be able to be more sophisticated and will allow features that older OXPs simply didn't have as options. The graphics will be noticeably better for the same reason, although the Behemoth re-makes have largely addressed this already.
Subjective/objective? :- HIMSN is being designed from the ground up to integrate with the core game, building on the two native missions and with the same ethos behind it. To many this subtlety would make it more appealing (ie better) than an OXP which turns the Ooniverse into North Korea.
It's good to see that GN might be getting some attention though - it has a wide appeal and deserves to be maintained.

Oh, yes, replacement for?
No, certainly not. There is no practical reason why a player should not use both if they so desire.
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Smivs wrote:
The same way a 2015 Ford Mondeo is better than a 1980 Ford Cortina.
If there was ever evidence that one should avoid posting whilst drunk…
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hic! What?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!