Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Proposal for 1.82: support for economic changes

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Proposal for 1.82: support for economic changes

Post by Fatleaf »

ralph_hh wrote:
... A whole industrialized planet should be able to fabricate more than this.
Yup, it just goes to show how small and insignificant the player truly is in the Ooniverse.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

ralph_hh wrote:
A whole industrialized planet should be able to fabricate more than this.
It undoubtedly can - the question is whether it's there for you to buy. The market you have access to as a small independent trader is very much just the scraps from the big boys' table: most of the bulk trade is tied up by the big shipping lines, and they don't want the hassle of dealing with small-scale competition. That said, if you have the cargo space, you can take shot at a few cargo contracts, too.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

ralph_hh wrote:
I was thinking about standard milk runs by trading between RI/PA systems - just to earn money as fast as possible, which is how economy in general works.
I'm not sure that's true, really. Yes, early on the milk-runs are about the only way a new trader in a smal ship can earn a living, but look at the real economy where (as Big D says) it is the big corporations doing most of the trade, mostly unseen by the masses.
In the more human-scale economy it is the entrepreneurs making the money. The Arthur Daleys, the guy with a white van and a lock-up full of stock who buys cheap and sells later at a profit. This is what the freighters are so good for - white van and lock-up rolled into one that goes wherever the money is to be had.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Well, thanks all, after reading this, I do not feel so bad anymore, blowing up innocent freighters :-)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Another bit of handwavium sometimes offered to explain the 127TC limit is that it's not actually all that's available.. it's all that's available FOR YOU. If a single 'Conda could buy up everything available, there'd be nothing left for all the NPC traders to purchase.. so GalCop limits the amount any single Commander can buy.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

ralph_hh wrote:
Well, thanks all, after reading this, I do not feel so bad anymore, blowing up innocent freighters
So vicious! Poor innocent traders!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Cody wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
Well, thanks all, after reading this, I do not feel so bad anymore, blowing up innocent freighters
Poor Arthur Daley :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I made a secondary market to test legality_export and legality_import parameters. What do these do exactly? I tested all combinations with a behemoth parked next to the main station and they did not seem to do anything except filling the Legal column with Lm, Re and Ex. I was able to buy & sell whatever I wanted and launch & dock without interference. Was I just really lucky or have I misunderstood something?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Check the market_monitored property. For compatibility with 1.80 this defaults to false for non-main stations. So, it's illegal to sell X there, but it's not as if anyone actually checks.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

cim wrote:
Check the market_monitored property. For compatibility with 1.80 this defaults to false for non-main stations. So, it's illegal to sell X there, but it's not as if anyone actually checks.
Now I figured it :D . I had the property configured to 1, but since it seemed that nothing happened, I was a bit puzzled. Actually something was happening, there just was no notification other than seeing my legal status go down. I noticed that when I docked and launched a few times and the behemoth opened fire at me :lol: .

This might need some work to be intuitive for the player. Maybe a warning report when docking for the first time letting you hand over the contraband like illegal_goods oxp does and something to warn you when you're about to launch with contraband.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Question: In 1.81, am I correct in assuming you have to use trade-goods.plist now, not commodities.plist?
Maybe some conversion script could be written to update the old plists?
Has a conversion script been written for commodities.plists?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

phkb wrote:
Question: In 1.81, am I correct in assuming you have to use trade-goods.plist now, not commodities.plist?
trade-goods.plist for defining new trade goods or overriding the core definition for a trade good.

shipdata.plist (the new market_* properties) for defining secondary station markets with respect to the existing (or potentially existing) trade goods.

planetinfo.plist (the market_script property) to make JS-based market rules for the primary system market, either extending or overriding the data in trade-goods.plist
phkb wrote:
Not that I know of.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

phkb wrote:
In the current Behemoth OXP I use a js script that has the old commodities.plist defined inside and uses the legacy formula to calculate the prices/quantities. You might want to check it out.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Smivs wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
I always wonder what sense it might make to purchase a freighter ship wilst the local station supplies only a fraction of the tonnage needed to fill this ships cargo hold...
You can buy more than one commodity at once, you know. Say you're heading out from a rich industrial, buy up all the computers and luxuries and anything else that looks cheap. This can often amount to well over 100TC of cargo. If your next stop is a poor agri or similar, sell for a big fat profit. If not then hold on to some or all of it until you can show a good profit. Even buy more computers etc if your next call is another RI. In other words you have the space to hold stock for a while to maximise your profit from it.
This approach is basically how I operate Atomic Annie to build up the "Ranthe retires in luxury on Esdi" fund 8)
Smivs wrote:
Cody wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
Poor Arthur Daley :P
I resemble that remark! :lol:
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I've been fiddling with secondary market definitions quite a bit now and overall it's quite nice. To be able to set prices in relation to the system prices is very nice indeed. There's one thing I'm missing though. I would like to be able to set a fixed price in market_definition. I don't think that's currently possible. I know I can do it in marker_script, but then I would need to define other goods there too. Have I overlooked/misunderstood something? If not, could this be added, if possible?