Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Svengali »

Tricky wrote:
Small fix for new torus speeds over the old maximum of 32 * max ship speed.
Raises the question if .maxSpeed is still meaningfull. But this is question for Oolites developers.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

A question...:
I like the hyperjump / Docking effects of BGS, but I'd like to Keep my Sound as it is. So I intend to download only one of the separate packages. Which would that be? The Wiki pages says that BGS_I is the Background Pictures only, BGS-C and BGS-M seem both to deal with sounds. Where is the Docking Screen hidden? Can't find a Picture in the downloaded -I set...
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

ralph_hh wrote:
A question...:
I like the hyperjump / Docking effects of BGS, but I'd like to Keep my Sound as it is. So I intend to download only one of the separate packages. Which would that be? The Wiki pages says that BGS_I is the Background Pictures only, BGS-C and BGS-M seem both to deal with sounds. Where is the Docking Screen hidden? Can't find a Picture in the downloaded -I set...
I don't think that was backported into the separate sets.

It is something I am looking into. Separating each of the features into standalone OXZs.

Past few months have been a bit hectic for me in RL but it is all settling down now.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

ralph_hh wrote:
A question...:
I only want the hyperspace and docking effects so I have disabled everything else. This is easy to do. You will need to install BGS-A either as an OXP in AddOns, or the OXZ version un-zipped and moved to AddOns. Open the OXP.
Firstly, rename the Music folder to X-music to disable this. I prefer to re-name rather than remove in case you decide to use them in future.
Then open the Config folder. Inside you will find several files and you need to switch-off the customsounds.plist and the screenbackgrounds.plist - I have simply re-named them as customsounds.Xplist and screenbackgrounds.Xplist (in other words added an 'X' to the file extension).
This should disable everything except the two effects that you want.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Tricky wrote:
Yep - the docking effect and the LongRangeChart maps are not included in any single pack yet, the jump effect is the old one in BGS-M 1.6. The number of downloads for the single packs was nearly not existing while BGS-A got several thousand downloads - a clear signal in my eyes. It will still be useful to make them more modular .-)
Smivs wrote:
Firstly, rename the Music folder to X-music to disable this. I prefer to re-name rather than remove in case you decide to use them in future.
Then open the Config folder. Inside you will find several files and you need to switch-off the customsounds.plist and the screenbackgrounds.plist - I have simply re-named them as customsounds.Xplist and screenbackgrounds.Xplist (in other words added an 'X' to the file extension).
Disabling plists is not an option - the script still tries to play sounds/music or to place background images. Oh, and the docking/hyperjump effect without its sounds is a bit dull. Handling everything through JS is no option as well. Some things can't be handled in JS while others can only be handled via JS and/or the preload through plist is necessary for performance reasons. There are also some necessary workarounds in the script to cover specific situations in Oolite (this needs to be revisited in v1.80). Another point is the new OXZ format, so manually editing is no option for users anymore. I'd think it's the finer details which made BGS-A popular and it's all a bit more complex than people seem to expect.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Svengali wrote:
... Another point is the new OXZ format, so manually editing is no option for users anymore...
One of the reasons I am not really a fan of the OXZ format. Any OXZ's I have downloaded I always convert them back to OXP.

But this is not the thread for such a discussion.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Svengali wrote:
Another point is the new OXZ format, so manually editing is no option for users anymore.
It's certainly not as straightforward as it is with OXPs - it's still doable, but not really for casual users.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Sure, it's always possible to edit something (even though I strongly doubt that the majority of players touched OXP-files in previous versions). Managed AddOns are a good thing. It only means that AddOn-developers need to think twice now about the accessibility of settings. I'd expect that the OXP format slowly dies and in v1.90 nobody ever heard about it or the script.oos .-)
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Svengali wrote:
Tricky wrote:
Yep - the docking effect and the LongRangeChart maps are not included in any single pack yet, the jump effect is the old one in BGS-M 1.6. The number of downloads for the single packs was nearly not existing while BGS-A got several thousand downloads - a clear signal in my eyes. It will still be useful to make them more modular .-)
Well, the number of downloads tells you nothing about how many users deleted the pack again or manipulate it in order to get rid of part of it. To be honest, I like the backgorund images. I'll install the full version to get the docking effects and then I'll try to see, what I do with the sounds. I do like neither musik nor much chatter during gameplay and I've adjusted some sounds already, so I hop BGS does not interfere too much with it.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

I do like OXP's like this that encourage you to have a look inside and tweak to your hearts content. It gets you to learn about the game and the possibilities that the game really offers opens up more once you start to understand how things work.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

@Tricky: may I point out this part of the "Progress" thread.

The main question/request would be if the "bgs_fxEngineDown" and "bgs_fxEngineUp" effects could be linked with the "real game" (e.g. speed up/speed down/torus drive on/torus drive off) events (as opposed to the "system" events, as presented by cim -- mainly automated "torus drive on"/"torus drive off" to bump up/down the speed while traveling off the main lanes).

The reason behind this request is that it's a bit disorienting during a torus ride when the sound effects kick in as a follow up of the underlying system adjustments.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Ehhrm...?

Just downloaded the full set.
Souce: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/BGS
OXP File: BGS-A_1.10.6.zip
Unzipped, copied the Folder into the add-on Folder.
The unzipped Folder was not named .oxp, so I renamed it. (otherwise, it had just no effect, as expected)
Starting the game I got the following:
The Expansion pack "BackgroundSet" was not loaded as it requires "Depends on Cabal Common Library 1.7." which ist not installed.
After some searching, I also downloaded the required Cabal Common Library - the oxp Folder, Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
Restarted Oolite, pressing Shift while starting.
I still get the message and BGS just won't load.
?
Last edited by ralph_hh on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Log file says it successfully accepted the CCL 1.7..
3:42:37.340 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
Resources
C:\Users/User/6-Games/Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns
../AddOns
C:\Users/User/6-Games/Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.random_hits.oxz
C:\Users/User/6-Games/Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.spara.random_hits_resources.oxz
../AddOns/Auto Crosshairs 1.0.4.oxp
../AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
../AddOns/Hawksound.oxp
../AddOns/OXPConfig2-3-1.oxp
../AddOns/Smivs'Shipset-SD-v4 .2_replace.oxp
../AddOns/Tori2.02.oxz
../AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_4.1.7.oxp
../AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_A_4.1.7.oxp
../AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_F_4.1.7.oxp
../AddOns/ZygoCinematicSky&Nebulas1.3.oxp
Cody

Post by Cody »

Just read your edit - try removing the two OXPs and installing them via the in-game OXZ manager instead.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

CCL 1.7 zip available in the wiki does not have manifest.plist, so the new BGS fails to see it. Either download the CCL oxz version from the wiki or from the in-game manager.

Btw, the BGS zip seems to hold a BGS-A_1.10.6 folder that holds a BGS-A_1.10.6.oxp folder. Just move the oxp folder from the BGS-A_1.10.6 folder to the AddOns. No need to rename anything.