Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by spud42 »

Cheers Mossfoot, that voice attack software looks like it might be fun...and i just GOT to try the head tracking software...

going to see if i can get it to "go to market place" "buy maximum computers" that might be too hard but simple keyboard shortcuts should be easy. not sure i would want to hear myself respond to the commands...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

spud42 wrote:
Cheers Mossfoot, that voice attack software looks like it might be fun...and i just GOT to try the head tracking software...

going to see if i can get it to "go to market place" "buy maximum computers" that might be too hard but simple keyboard shortcuts should be easy. not sure i would want to hear myself respond to the commands...
Voice attack can use TTS (text to speech) so you can use Ivona for extra voice packs.

Also checkout EDTracker, a cheap DIY head tracker.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

BBC article - "Elite: The 'first 3D video game' redeveloped"

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30576913
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Tricky wrote:
spud42 wrote:

Voice attack can use TTS (text to speech) so you can use Ivona for extra voice packs.

I'm curious about the EDTracker, but getting it shipped to Canada would be a bit expensive and time consuming. But I might look into it later.

How would I go about using one of those voice packs? Is there a walkthrough?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Withnail
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Withnail »

pagroove wrote:
Thanks all for the observations. Keep them coming

@all
It was my observation also that there aren't as many fights as in Oolite unless you go and seek out the conflict zones. or Signal sources.
I personally think that combat against NPC's is too easy. I do not have a comparison for human players as multiplayer (for me) doesn't work in that I never see any other Commanders.

I think the USS thing is too gamey, it's too random and it doesn't flow. You can spend 2 hours plus searching for your mission target and never find it.

I basically find exploring, trading and bounty hunting more rewarding (personally, not in-game fiscally) then engaging in the missions and story lines.

Saying that, I'm really enjoying what I am doing and time flys when you are playing!

Agree, sound is good.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

mossfoot wrote:
Tricky wrote:
spud42 wrote:

I'm curious about the EDTracker, but getting it shipped to Canada would be a bit expensive and time consuming. But I might look into it later.

How would I go about using one of those voice packs? Is there a walkthrough?
Fortunately there is a pack and full instructions for Voice Attack with E: D
Elite: Dangerous Voice Pack
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

mossfoot wrote:
I'm curious about the EDTracker, but getting it shipped to Canada would be a bit expensive and time consuming.
You think Canada is bad. i need a new pair of Shure HPAEC940 ear pads to fit my Sony PS3 wireless headphones. I cant get them in Australia so if i want to get them from the US it around $35 to $45 AUD a pair but they want to charge me $109 + for shipping?? for a pair if light ear pads... go figure.... a new pair of Sony headphones for my PS3 are cheaper than that!
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I need a bit of help optimizing my Elite:Dangerous experience. Even on the low graphical settings the frame rate just isn't smooth at all, and I supposedly have better than minimum requirements in all regards other than the graphics card (which meets the minimum). Is there some easy way to help configure my system?
--

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I find the best way to optimise performance is to first (if you have a Nvidia card) to let Geforce Experience optimise the settings and then go in and tweak it afterwards. Sometimes it gets it right (it does with my card) but sometimes you just need to adjust a few things slightly.

What spec are you running? Also what's your internet connection speed? Although this won't affect your FPS it can affect your game play.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

GFE is untrustworthy bloatware - no other word for it!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Cody wrote:
GFE is untrustworthy bloatware - no other word for it!
Cody, Tell us what you really think :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Ok, well I've made it from my starting system to Lave (about 120LY), and am currently on my way to Ross 154 to visit Merlin before swinging by Sol. Don't know what I'll do after I reach Sol...probably park my ship until planetary landing become available.

Looking for some pirate thumping action I decided to do a few patrols in Reidquat, me thinking that as an Anarchy, it would be a fertile hunting ground. My gosh, has the neighbourhood gone to pot.

Cruising from nav beacon to the three stations on a 30 minute patrol, carrying some cargo as bait for any pirates...nothing. Not a nibble. Don't tell me someone's gone and gentrified the place.

Oh and I also stopped in at Tionisla. Looks like the Chronicle has gone into receivership. No sign of the famous* transmission station.

At least Lave still has a Coriolis station.

* Famous, that is, in the Oolite universe...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Bugbear wrote:
Don't know what I'll do after I reach Sol...probably park my ship until planetary landing become available.
I fear that you might be parked-up a long time! Riedquat gentrified? What, like Hackney? <grins wryly>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

mossfoot wrote:
I need a bit of help optimizing my Elite:Dangerous experience. Even on the low graphical settings the frame rate just isn't smooth at all, and I supposedly have better than minimum requirements in all regards other than the graphics card (which meets the minimum). Is there some easy way to help configure my system?
start by turning anti aliasing off and also anisotropic filtering. they can chew up frames..... worst case you might have to reduce the resolution for the game...

what graphics card is it? you might be able to OC it and get a few more frames????
OR i could go with
or simply
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Pleb wrote:
I find the best way to optimise performance is to first (if you have a Nvidia card) to let Geforce Experience optimise the settings and then go in and tweak it afterwards. Sometimes it gets it right (it does with my card) but sometimes you just need to adjust a few things slightly.

What spec are you running? Also what's your internet connection speed? Although this won't affect your FPS it can affect your game play.
Video Card GeForce GT620 1GB
CPUL Intel i5-3450 CPU @3.10 GHz
RAM: 8.2GB

I'm probably going to upgrade to a 2GB card, but wanted to see what I could pull out of this first.
--