Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by Cody »

Fatleaf wrote:
Press Space Commander
<grins> Aye - Clear Save would be it. Mind you, there is a good chance that there'll be a wipe before/at release anyway.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Cody wrote:
In other news, it seems that there may not be multiple characters per account - only one commander slot.
I inferred as much when they dropped solo offline. With the whole every-action-affects-every-player thing, someone having one main commander and several feeder ones whose only purpose is to make money for the main could mess things up pretty quickly. There's really only one way to safeguard against that.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody

Post by Cody »

CheeseRedux wrote:
... someone having one main commander and several feeder ones whose only purpose is to make money for the main could mess things up pretty quickly.
That would not have been straightforward - the intention was for the different commanders to be totally unconnected.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

No such thing as unconnected when they operate in the same universe instead of parallel ones. There are myriads of ways to exploit that, though how many of them – if any – would be practical within the ED framework is a different question. Thing is, people wold still try, and in doing so they would likely end up disrupting things for others.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody

Post by Cody »

Re mode-switching:
Jackie Silver wrote:
Been discussed to death, then reanimated, then discussed to death again, chopped up into tiny pieces, the pieces scattered to the four corners of the galaxy, then each piece lovingly found by dedicated players and brought back together into Frankenthreads. It's how it is; you can't trap someone in a station.
<chortles>
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

Wow. No wipe at launch. I wasn't expecting that!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Me neither I haven't been playing properly as I assumed there would be a wipe. Time I got my Cobra back! :wink:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Cody

Post by Cody »

It matters not to me, but I think that not having a reset might be a mistake - another one.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Cody wrote:
It matters not to me, but I think that not having a reset might be a mistake - another one.
So do I, Cody. That's unfair for those who did not participate in the tests.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

They'll have to learn how to cope with and recover from serious bugs/exploits temporarily unbalancing the game without needing a full reset anyway, since every future change they make risks introducing one (or there'll be some already there which just weren't caught in Gamma).

Not resetting now is a decision they could reasonably have made either way in itself, but it gives them experience which will mean they shouldn't need an extremely unpopular reset at the end of Delta.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Zireael wrote:
So do I, Cody. That's unfair for those who did not participate in the tests.
I agree even though I did take part it does seem unfair but then those who did would probably argue they paid extra to yest so they should get a head start but it doesn't matter either way as I'll be playing in Solo Mode!

I've been waiting for launch day to start playing properly but I don't know if I should just go for it now because they could just as easily turn around and go "actually a full wipe is going to happen".
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Nice! I kept grinning throughout that one.

Oh yeah, that official trailer. btw... ok, looks pretty, but seriously: Why, Frontier? Why so much fail? And that music... who decided that it was a good idea for an Elite trailer (and this is coming from someone who grew up with hard rock and stuff)? I want names of those responsible. :-P

Seriously though, the trailer they came out with is anything but Elite in my opinion. As far as I am concerned, the Elite Dangerous trailer is this (fan-made btw): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BgvGLptN18
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
... ok, looks pretty, but seriously: Why, Frontier? Why so much fail? And that music...
Aye, why indeed... and that music is terrible.
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

another_commander wrote:
Seriously though, the trailer they came out with is anything but Elite in my opinion. As far as I am concerned, the Elite Dangerous trailer is this (fan-made btw): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BgvGLptN18
Stowe's videos are absolutely amazing. Why Frontier didn't hire him to produce something for them, I just don't know. I can only think it's for the same reason they keep saying the best parts of the Bourne films are the car chases. I love the Bourne films (OK, not that last one) but the car chases are the most naff parts of them. They draw most of the punters in, though.