Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Mining Asteroids

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Mining Asteroids

Post by Imaginos »

Okay, so I bought a Mining Laser and attached it to the aft of my Cobby MkIII... found some asteroids... blasted one and it split into boulders... I blasted one of these boulders with my Mining Laser and it splintered into well, splinters. If any valuable minerals are found will they be indicated at this stage or do I just need to harvest the splinters and see if they contain anything useful?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Mining Asteroids

Post by Smivs »

In the core game they are just Minerals, although some OXPs can make them more interesting/valuable.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

Specifically the ore processor: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Ore_Processor.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Thanks for the info Falcon777. I don't normally go in for game changing OXPs but that one looks like it will make mining more far more interesting.
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

No problem. I'm not as disturbed about game changing oxps, but I still felt the same way about the processor: interesting enough to get. I've enjoyed it on occasion. Eventually I'll probably return to my mining transporter save file and work at saving up enough credits to get one.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Reminds me to ask - why is it that if I shoot a boulder with a laser I often end up with nothing, but if I ram it at low speed I nearly always end up with several splinters?
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

ffutures wrote:
Reminds me to ask - why is it that if I shoot a boulder with a laser I often end up with nothing, but if I ram it at low speed I nearly always end up with several splinters?
Think of the effect the laser is having on the rock, it is vaporised. As the laser is designed to penetrate the armour of ships and their shields. But a rock is a weak unarmoured mineral. But when you slowly ram it it is only kinetic energy that is being transferred to the asteroid and therefore doing minimal damage with very little heat energy.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

That's why you specifically have the Mining Laser. It (should) result in a lot of splinters from each Asteroid because it's "tuned" to cut rocks into bits, rather than the combat lasers which are "tuned" to penetrate shields and armour craft.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Micha wrote:
That's why you specifically have the Mining Laser. It (should) result in a lot of splinters from each Asteroid because it's "tuned" to cut rocks into bits, rather than the combat lasers which are "tuned" to penetrate shields and armour craft.
I really need to replace one of my side military lasers with a mining laser - never seem to use the things, might as well have a useful tool instead.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

My advice would be to keep practising with the side lasers as when you get the knack of them you can double your damage output and your survivability increases greatly. You no longer get scared of groups of 4 or more ships as you have the confidence to out class them. Instead get a [EliteWiki] Rail Gun.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

i have a mining laser om the starboard side of my coby but when i aimed at a boulder it blew it to smithereens!!! no splinters to pick up...
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply