Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by pagroove »

Diziet Sma wrote:
pagroove wrote:
The big question is will we play Oolite still?
You bet we will.. as several threads discussing this have demonstrated.. besides which, Oolite on a gaming-beast that can run E:D should be pretty damn awesome.. Cody should be able to comment on that, now he has his new machine up and running.
Cody should be in "Ooheaven" with his new machine now. 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Mind you, I may be thinking of the jump to another system, rather than supercruise - I am a novice, you see! As for Oolite, I created a partition on my new HDD which contains only Oolite and Elite: Dangerous - I don't envisage that changing at any time in the foreseeable future!

<nods happily> Yeah, Oolite sure looks sweet on my new machine - even at 199fps (though the tearing is too irksome - I need a new 144Hz monitor).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The Oolite FPS part of the discussion has been sent back to the game's Discussion forum.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Cody wrote:
<nods happily> Yeah, Oolite sure looks sweet on my new machine - even at 199fps (though the tearing is too irksome - I need a new 144Hz monitor).
Just use Vsync & Triple buffering (may have to force one or both in the Nvidia control panel), Oolite looks silky smooth & sweet even on a HD TV. :)
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Cody

Post by Cody »

FD Newsletter wrote:
We are delighted to announce Tuesday 16th December as the release date for Elite: Dangerous!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I like how those with PC can access Mac version and vice versa. Not that I own a Mac but good news for those who do!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Cody wrote:
FD Newsletter wrote:
We are delighted to announce Tuesday 16th December as the release date for Elite: Dangerous!
WHAT!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Zireael wrote:
Cody wrote:
FD Newsletter wrote:
WHAT!
This week's newsletter announced the release date. Also Gamma will begin on 22nd November and then the game will be released on 16th December. Not long now! :mrgreen:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcb ... 1d209941c4
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Sandro Sammarco wrote:
Hello my lovely DDF!

Time to dust of the craniums and prepare to focus-fire on the first of our final DDF topics, which will be about your continued role in the epic space opera that is Elite: Dangerous.

One of concepts we’ve always wanted to foster is the idea that the Elite: Dangerous universe is filled with interesting and imaginative tales.

Of course, as developers, we will constantly be looking for game play and context to generate interesting gameplay events, but we think the more involved players can be in creating the experience the richer the world will feel.

Player Submitted News Reports

In the spirit of this cooperation, we‘re considering having player submitted news stories populate the game world.

Whether these reports reference game content, player interactions or pure fiction, we think they could be a nice way of making the universe feel more vibrant and alive.

So, how might such a system work? Well, with help from you lovely guys and gals!

Our initial idea would be that potential news stories would be submitted to DDF members, most likely in the form of a special forum, where the stories could be discussed and vetted.

There would then need to be a simple voting system to put forward stories to Frontier. It’s obviously important to note that we would have to reserve the right to overrule any decision if we felt it was necessary.

Simple enough as a high level concept, but as always, the devil’s in the details. And here’s a bunch of details to mull over:

We would need to come up with a set of news story guidelines. What do you folk think they should contain? You can be as detailed or vague in your suggestions as you like – I just want to get a feel for what folk think is the right level of control we want to ensure news story writers must work within.

The following are a few questions to get you started, but don’t feel tied to them, you can suggest and debate anything that you feel important about the rules for stories (even to the point that you think there should not *be* rules beyond basic ones like avoiding obscenity etc.)

How do you think we should deal with the idea of frequency of stories? Do you think some simple, catch-all rules will work for all stories, or do you believe that stories should have different coverage and lifetimes, and if so, what metrics might we use to judge?

Do you think such stories should always be delivered by an anonymous, neutral source (such as a Galnet reporter), or do you perhaps think that they should always have some association with the Commander who submitted them, or should it simply be the preference of the submitter?

How should, or could we deal with issues of localisation – stories submitted in different languages?

How do you think the voting system should work? On the face of it, I would assume that simple one person, one vote, with majority score stories being put forward would be enough, with a vote every X time period, be it days/weeks/etc. but perhaps I’m missing a trick here?

Or perhaps you think such a concept is basically a waste of time? Don’t worry if you do, we’re allowed to have different opinions, so speak up and make the case! We still investigating additional aspects for DDF live game interaction; this isn’t all that’s on offer.

Right, let’s see how this particular tale is going to end! And of course, as always, have yourselves a great weekend!
This is great news, especially if the many writers can get involved!
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Found this interesting review on Ars Technica of the combined experience of playing E:D with 3D VR goggles...

http://arstechnica.com/staff/2014/10/mu ... o-my-eyes/
I’ve been playing Elite: Dangerous, which to me offers the most compelling Oculus Rift experience currently available. The game’s developers spent a great deal of time ensuring that the latest Elite beta works well with the Rift, and the results are jaw-dropping—it feels like you’re sitting in a spaceship. You look around and the cockpit has weight and depth. You can turn around and look over your shoulder at the hallway door behind you. You can crane your neck and peer through your roof window to get an idea of what’s above and behind your ship. It’s just bloody amazing.
:mrgreen:
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Withnail
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Withnail »

I played ED on the Oculus Rift at Fantasticon.

It is seriously good and well worth a try, I can't see anyone not enjoying it.

However, I found the OR to be quiet low definition, even on the latest version. Now, I'm not a HD or 4K snob, but I found the text was unreadable and the objects on the screen were made out of a series of dots (not pixels, but dots), such that I was a little disappointed.

If they sort that out, I'll be buying one straight away!
Cody

Post by Cody »

The latest newsletter has stirred the FD forum up - no purely offline mode, it seems.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Trying to find the positive from that - some very special surprises are to be found in the Galaxy...

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Cody

Post by Cody »

Zieman wrote:
Trying to find the positive from that - some very special surprises are to be found in the Galaxy...
Aye, some dangled carrots - there had to be! I see you have adopted 'the grey' too - cool!
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Cody wrote:
Zieman wrote:
Aye, some dangled carrots - there had to be! I see you have adopted 'the grey' too - cool!
We stand between darkness and light, between candle and star - we are the grey ones... :)

EDIT: the quote isn't accurate, and that's on purpose, only partially relating to Minbari & Rangers - everyone take their pick ;)

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM