Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

100% CPU load when browsing "market prices"

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Ijon Tichy
Average
Average

100% CPU load when browsing "market prices"

Post by Ijon Tichy »

I believe it must be a bug: when browsing "market prices" table (F8) I always notice very high CPU load - contrary to much lower load when viewing any of "action screens" (when the graphics handling could require more CPU cycles).
Tested the newest "recommended" version 1.80 for Linux 32-bit.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: 100% CPU load when browsing "market prices"

Post by Smivs »

Hi Ijon Tichy, and welcome.
Hmmm, strange. I just did a quick test and I am also seeing much higher CPU usage on F8 - one core up to 100% permanently with a max of 40ish% on the other GUI screens.
Quad-core running Linux (mint 16 cinnamon) and Oolite v1.80 64bit. The other three cores were all reading low, <10%.
I don't know if this is right, we'll need a boffin along to tell us.
It might help if you can give us the full spec of your computer.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Ijon Tichy
Average
Average

Post by Ijon Tichy »

Hi,
this is a machine which I use for less computing-intensive tasks - and I'm pleased, OOlite still can be seen so - equipped with K7S41GX mobo and a single-core Athlon XP 2600+ processor (1.85 GHz). While using gfx5500 inno3d graphics adaptor with proprietary NVidia driver, CPU load usually varies from 40 to around 80% when OOlite's "action screen" visible (most of the time, during "calm flight" it's 50-52%).

Slackware 14.1 32-bit, Mesa 10.2.4
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I'll have a look. I suspect inefficiency in the text printing routines - that one prints several times more text than any other screen.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

I've noticed my frame-rate drops to 4fps while viewing that page, even after increasing my CPU speed. I always assumed it was the Market Observer OXP that was somehow responsible. I haven't checked it without it though.

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

atom N270 netbook running debian and i also have the same framerate issue. 60fps on other menu screens, 30fps during flight and 5fps in the F8 screen.... not sure if i have market observer on this build will check back when i boot into linux.......

G20 and work seems to have slowed down heaps..lol time for some Oolite.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

This morning's nightly build should have improved the situation on the market screen. If you don't mind downloading and testing it briefly, that would be appreciated.

Note that games saved in 1.81 nightlies will not be loadable in 1.80, so I wouldn't recommend doing more than a quick check of the frame rate with a new commander unless you really want to be stuck there... The nightly builds can be safely installed alongside a regular 1.80 install, though.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

sorry for delay in testing. just now downloaded the nightly build and actually installed it!! To testing
loaded my commander and went to F8 market screen and i get average around 18-19 FPS lowest i saw was 14 and highest 23. so thank you . it is much better. other screens and in flight seemed the same as before.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply