Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

center mouse on Mac OS X?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

center mouse on Mac OS X?

Post by Bogatyr »

How can I center the roll/pitch when using the mouse? Just discovered the shift-M option and I see the "middle click" to center in various threads discussing this -- but I'm using an apple mouse and there is only one button.....? Tried various things like double clicking, using ctrl- and shift-click, but nothing works.....?

thanks for any info,
CmdrLuke (Bogatyr)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: center mouse on Mac OS X?

Post by Eric Walch »

Sound familiar. I had the same problem. Instead you must use ctrl-click to centre it. Not very friendly if you constantly need the keyboard next to the mouse. :lol: That is also the reason I never really tried mouse control.

The only working thing would be to go to the mouse preferences and define it as a double button mouse. (Defining two buttons is possible on both the Magic and mighty mouse). But as a purist, I want keep using the original single buttoned mouse. :wink:
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Eric Walch wrote:
Sound familiar. I had the same problem. Instead you must use ctrl-click to centre it. Not very friendly if you constantly need the keyboard next to the mouse. :lol: That is also the reason I never really tried mouse control.

The only working thing would be to go to the mouse preferences and define it as a double button mouse. (Defining two buttons is possible on both the Magic and mighty mouse). But as a purist, I want keep using the original single buttoned mouse. :wink:
I just tried again, and no modifiers: ctrl, alt, cmd, shift, right cmd, right alt, etc. + click worked to center the pitch/roll. I suppose I can try with a windows 3-button mouse, but yuck :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

What's "yuck" is having to use the keyboard and mouse for what should be a simple, single-click operation! :lol:

I don't understand how you mac-people can put up with it.. :wink:

The Mac magic mouse, on the other hand, is a way cool gadget!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Bogatyr, you are right: ctrl-click does not simulate the right mouse click like most programs do. Apparently I never tested that part. Defining the mouse into a two buttoned mouse does work and I have used it for testing. But, I want to keep the one-buttoned mouse for my other stuff, so changing it every time for Oolite is no option. :D
Diziet Sma wrote:
Yep, Two weeks after I got a mac with a magic mouse, I decided to also replace my mighty mouse of the other mac by a magic mouse. The whole surface is touchpad allowing to swipe and doing all other cool stuff that you can do with a touchpad on a notebook. One thing is defining unlimited mouse buttons with the right software. :lol:
Apple only allows defining one or two buttons, but I already found software that projected a numeric keypad on it. :wink:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Yep, Two weeks after I got a mac with a magic mouse, I decided to also replace my mighty mouse of the other mac by a magic mouse. The whole surface is touchpad allowing to swipe and doing all other cool stuff that you can do with a touchpad on a notebook.
I'm not impressed. It seems you can only do one- and two-finger gestures. On my touchpad I have three- and four-finger gestures as well. :P
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
On my touchpad I have .... four-finger gestures as well. :P
You mean three finger and one thumb. :P

The magic mouse does allow more fingers, it is just that apple does not provide the software for it. When you install magicPrefs, also the magic mouse accepts 4 'finger' commands.

I just never tested it because my iMacs run on 10.6
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

I've got a magic mouse too and have defined it to have 3 buttons using MagicPrefs.

I don't tend to use it for playing OOlite though as I stick to the keyboard or my joystick when I drag it out.
I still find the magic mouse a bit clunky to use when working in Wings and other apps where a little more precision is required but I'm giving it my best shot.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

I had to buy a new mouse for one of my Macs a while back, but diverted from Magic Mouse to BT touchpad (can't remember what Apple call it) at the last moment.

So glad I did. I much prefer touchpads to mice. Four fingers, swipes, thumbs; EVERYTHING.

But this still cracks me up:

Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

I used to hate touchpads till I got my macbook. The gestures and size make it much more useful. I used to have a netbook with a touchpad the size of my thumb.

I still find I want a nice 3 button mouse though when I'm doing serious work.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
On my touchpad I have .... four-finger gestures as well. :P
You mean three finger and one thumb. :P
No, I actually mean four fingers (for Exposé and for switching between applications (although I'm not usually using the horizontal movement (I'm not a Disney cartoon character, therefore I do have four fingers 8) ))).
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Back a year & a half later, and need to figure out (again!) how to center the mouse on OS X. This time I'm using a usb 2-button mouse with a wheel middle button. Ctrl-left click doesn't do it, neither does middle click or right click.

Is there a keyboard key for center mouse? That would be ideal. Do I have to build Oolite from source in order to make mouse-center work? If I wanted to change the keymap to do this, what file would I modify?

thanks,
CmdrLuke (Bogatyr)