Just a couple of questions...

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wandrin' Pa
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Just a couple of questions...

Post by Wandrin' Pa »

Hello to everyone..
Sorry if I'am in the wrong place - but I am on a Mac.. and presently ferrying passengers around G3. But the new 'Service Level' equipment is draining my profits. So I wondered if there might be a way to edit or even dispense with this facility.

And whilst I am on the subject of editing; I have read that I can unzip an OXZ into my AddOns folder for tweaking. But when I download the file (from the New Wiki page) all I get is the 'Lego Block' file which Text Edit cannot open!! - I know, It's me isn't it.

Can I just thank all the Devs for this amazing game. I've been a fan since 2008 and it just gets better and better - Honestly, You've all done VERY WELL :D :D :D

Many thanks in advance W-P
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Just a couple of questions...

Post by Venator Dha »

Wandrin' Pa wrote:
And whilst I am on the subject of editing; I have read that I can unzip an OXZ into my AddOns folder for tweaking. But when I download the file (from the New Wiki page) all I get is the 'Lego Block' file which Text Edit cannot open!! - I know, It's me isn't it.
Welcome W-P.
StuffIt Expander will un-zip the oxz file, you can get it from the App Store if you haven't got it.
There's lots of people here who can help you (much better than me) if you have questions problems with editing oxps/oxzs.
Last edited by Venator Dha on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Wandrin' Pa wrote:
But the new 'Service Level' equipment is draining my profits. So I wondered if there might be a way to edit or even dispense with this facility.
The maintenance overhaul shouldn't be coming up that often (and compared with even a low-paying passenger run shouldn't be putting a significant drain on your profits, either). What sort of ship are you flying, and how often would you say you get the maintenance overhaul offered?
Wandrin' Pa
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Wandrin' Pa »

Venator Dha wrote:
Welcome W-P.
StuffIt Expander will un-zip the oxz file, you can get it from the App Store if you haven't got it.
There's lots of people here who can help you (much better than me) if you have questions problems with editing oxps/oxzs.
Yes, of course, I knew there was a way but completely forgot Stuffit' - thank you so much.
cim wrote:
The maintenance overhaul shouldn't be coming up that often (and compared with even a low-paying passenger run shouldn't be putting a significant drain on your profits, either). What sort of ship are you flying, and how often would you say you get the maintenance overhaul offered?
I'am flying a fully laden (Navigational) Cadaceus Alpha and regularly jumping 10/30 systems. After the first 3/4 jumps A warning flashes up telling me that the Service Level has begun to degrade. This degradation continues until either I scrape into my destination or I DIE in mid flight.
If I do manage to deliver the passenger/s any potential profits are erased by the need to return to the 'Perfect' Service Level.
The maintenance overhaul you refer to is not the problem here (I don't think) that seems to be popping up at normal intervals.

Thank you for your interest.. W-P
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

If I'm not mistaken (I've never tried it), the Caduceus is a high-maintenance ship.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

[quote="Wandrin' Pa"]I'am flying a fully laden (Navigational) Cadaceus Alpha and regularly jumping 10/30 systems. After the first 3/4 jumps A warning flashes up telling me that the Service Level has begun to degrade. This degradation continues until either I scrape into my destination or I DIE in mid flight.
If I do manage to deliver the passenger/s any potential profits are erased by the need to return to the 'Perfect' Service Level.
The maintenance overhaul you refer to is not the problem here (I don't think) that seems to be popping up at normal intervals./quote]Interesting. Service Level with that sort of behaviour isn't part of 1.80 itself, and it doesn't seem to be part of the Caduceus OXP either, so it's presumably one of your other OXPs - maybe [wiki]ShipVersion[/wiki]? That mentions "perfect service level", at least. If you post your Latest.log that includes an installed OXP list so someone should be able to find which one is causing it for you.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Venator Dha wrote:
I always do it the easy way: Change the extension from '.oxz' to '.zip'.

That way the system will recognise it as an archive file and unzips it. When you append '.oxp' behind the resulting folder, you will have the folder in oxp format.

To open an oxp, you must ctrl-click on it and select "open package" from the contextual menu.

EDIT: Just be aware that the system will not recognise a change inside an oxp because the oxp date is not changing. So every time you change something inside an oxp, you must start Oolite with shift-key pressed to force a rebuild of the cache.
Wandrin' Pa
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Wandrin' Pa »

cim wrote:
Wandrin' Pa wrote:
I'am flying a fully laden (Navigational) Cadaceus Alpha and regularly jumping 10/30 systems. After the first 3/4 jumps A warning flashes up telling me that the Service Level has begun to degrade. This degradation continues until either I scrape into my destination or I DIE in mid flight.
The maintenance overhaul you refer to is not the problem here (I don't think) that seems to be popping up at normal intervals./quote]Interesting. Service Level with that sort of behaviour isn't part of 1.80 itself, and it doesn't seem to be part of the Caduceus OXP either, so it's presumably one of your other OXPs - maybe [wiki]ShipVersion[/wiki]? That mentions "perfect service level", at least. If you post your Latest.log that includes an installed OXP list so someone should be able to find which one is causing it for you.
Eureka!!- Hit the nail. I removed ShipVersion and i"am off… many thanks Cim.
Eric Walch wrote:
Venator Dha wrote:
I always do it the easy way: Change the extension from '.oxz' to '.zip'.

That way the system will recognise it as an archive file and unzips it. When you append '.oxp' behind the resulting folder, you will have the folder in oxp format.

To open an oxp, you must ctrl-click on it and select "open package" from the contextual menu.

EDIT: Just be aware that the system will not recognise a change inside an oxp because the oxp date is not changing. So every time you change something inside an oxp, you must start Oolite with shift-key pressed to force a rebuild of the cache.
Aha, I was trying to open the resulting .oxp with TextEdit. It never dawned on me to let Oolite open it. I am grateful to you Eric - Clarity at last!

Thank you all for your trouble - must dash, Passengers queuing…. W-P
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Welcome here!
Wandrin' Pa wrote:
I removed ShipVersion and i"am off…
I made the Service Level Equipment in ShipVersion OXP so I must mention that this is a display of your ship's service level which is handled by the core regardless of this OXP. So you will get the same degradations, maintenance costs and penalties (for example fuel leak) regardless of you removed the visual feedback of changes. You will know your state only when you will be in a really bad ship and the costly full overhaul is offered.

I suggest to read the whole wiki page of [wiki]ShipVersion[/wiki] and decide after if you want this OXP or not due to the idea within is much more than this.