Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [Solved] WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer

Post by another_commander »

@Duggan: Still, we should try to find out the cause of the crashes. Even if it is an OXP that is causing them, it is important to identify it and then investigate what that particular OXP does that nobody thought it would do. I am glad you are still enjoying the game even on a previous version, but the thing is, that version is not supported anymore and as long as it runs OK for you that's great, but if any problem comes up with it you will have to work out a solution yourself. So it is not an optimal situation.

Now, if I understand correctly, there are no timer errors when you run 1.80 just after installation, but they do occur when you add and then remain when you remove all OXPs? That is strange. Removing all OXPs should leave you with a virgin installation, just like when you installed first time. Can you try installing clean and giving it some good amount of playtime? We need to be perfectly sure that 1.80 clean is error-free. And, as others have already said, even if timer errors are reported it should not mean that the game crashes because of them.

Which brings me to the next observation: You say that when Oolite crashes the system restarts. Do you reboot it yourself or it just does it on its own as soon as the game has crashed? This is quite an important point we need to have clarified here.

Finally, if running 1.80 you should really try to update all OXPs to their latest supported versions. The OXZ manager will make this very easy for you. Also, you can do all this without uninstalling 1.77.1 if you wish. Installing 1.80 in a separate folder will let you run both versions. Only thing to note is that the version that gets installed last will be the one pointed to by the Start menu shortcuts, that's basically it.

If there are other users of 1.80 who are experiencing any kind of crashes with any frequency, this would be a good time to report them with full system specs.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Duggan wrote:
Ore_processor1.59(an older version I know but it saves having to prime to convert scooped splinters)
No real need to use an older version as a newer version can do that too:
If desired, the processor can be hardwired to start automatically when a splinter has been scooped. This is dangerous though as you can easily dry out your energy banks by accident. Because of this GalCop does not approve hardwiring and for that reason it can be bought only from rock hermits.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

What has been occurring is , while playing Oolite 1.80 my whole PC goes to a black Screen , turns off and then restarts itself.
It occurs to me that your advice regarding the exclusive use of OXZ's and leaving my Add ons Folder empty might be a possible way forward.
So I'll get back to you shortly to let you know how I get along. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Hardware problem? I.e. thermal cutout?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Duggan wrote:
What has been occurring is , while playing Oolite 1.80 my whole PC goes to a black Screen , turns off and then restarts itself.
This is what I was afraid of. The symptom is very similar to what happens when Windows go Blue Screen and the system is set up so that it reboots immediately on an OS failure. Now, there is no way for Oolite to cause a blue screen. The worst it can possibly do is shut down itself and send you back to desktop. Given that modern Windows is a stable operating system, catastrophic failures should be an extremely rare event. At this day and time, when they occur, it is normally due to faulty hardware. If my assumption is correct, it could be that Oolite 1.80 is not the cause but the trigger of the problem.

You said earlier that you have 6GB RAM. How are these configured? Are they 4GB+2GB? Are they the same manufacturer and running at the same speeds? If not, there could be a very subtle problem there.

Also, it may be an idea to monitor processor temperature while running 1.77.1 and 1.80? Is there any difference? Is 1.80 by any chance causing the CPU to overheat? I don't see it here on my laptop, but it could be a specific configuration thing. It may be worth checking it out.

And I would think that all this is irrelevant to the timers message. But in any case, if you can, it would probably be a good idea posting a full log after a crash. I just realized that we have not seen any complete log yet and it might just be that there is something there. Oh, and please check if there is any stderr.txt file remaining in oolite.app after a crash. If it has any contents, please post them.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Also, do you play other games/use other GPU-intensive apps on the same machine?
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you all for the help. The RAM is from the same manufacturer, I have noted the HDD getting quiet warm when I play 1.80 so I think thermal cut out is certainly a possibility.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Duggan wrote:
Thank you all for the help. The RAM is from the same manufacturer, I have noted the HDD getting quiet warm when I play 1.80 so I think thermal cut out is certainly a possibility.
I've had that with the HDD getting warm. Invested in a tower fan that I turn on when the sun is shining.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thanks Tricky,

I guess then , that 1.80 is more resource hungry than it's predecessor. Background processes I use include AVG and Itunes amongst others. I note a spike in CPU usage when initializing 1.80 that is to say it goes up to 80% very briefly. I figure that the increased resource usage is a small price to pay for a significantly improved version of Oolite :)
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

So as you will be aware, I have experienced no end of difficulties with Oolite 1.80.

I could not understand at all why Oolite was causing my Laptop to Crash especially as my Laptop was purchased in March of this Year. Such was my frustration that I sent the darned thing in for repair as it was well within it's warranty period.

Anyhow it transpires I had a faulty Hard Drive which was duly replaced. Since the Machine has come back to me , Oolite 1.80 has worked with no issues as yet (touch wood).

I write then, to apologize for the fuss I made about this...I am (it has to be said) somewhat passionate about my Oolite. :)
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

OK Sadly 1.80 still causing Fatal Crash and reboot during play,despite having a new HDD installed, so I have regrettably had to write 1.80 off altogether and revert instead to 177.1 which is a much more stable version for me personally.

As you will have gathered . My Laptop is New . It has :

AMD Quad Core Processor
6 GB RAM
1TB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 8330 with 512MB of Graphics System Memory

It is an Acer E1-522 .

The issue remains the same.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Duggan wrote:
That onboard IGU does not seem well suited to games generally (benchmarks here) - could it be the problem?

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, by any stretch of the imagination!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I suppose Oolite is too much for your card or you have bugged drivers (I've heard some of the newest AMD drivers have a bug which stops the fan sometimes). Black screen and reboot sound like overheating or power supply problems.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
Duggan wrote:
That onboard IGU does not seem well suited to games generally (benchmarks here) - could it be the problem?
That site doesn't have my card on it, but this one does - and rates the 8330 at over ten times more powerful (and a top end gaming card over ten times as powerful again, of course...). Anyway, it shouldn't have any problems running Oolite at high settings.
Cody

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
Anyway, it shouldn't have any problems running Oolite at high settings.
Agreed... but there is something about AMD IGUs. Mind you, I'm biased... I hate AMD drivers!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!