Status Quo, Chapter Seven

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Status Quo, Chapter Seven

Post by drew »

Edit : Individual chapters no longer available, but you can download the complete version here

Hopefully reasonably type checked, errors and feedback gratefully received as always!

Some of the questions get answered now... Enjoy!

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Status Quo, Chapter Seven

Post by ArkanoiD »

drew wrote:
The penultimate chapter.

Chapter Seven

Hopefully reasonably type checked, errors and feedback gratefully received as always!

Some of the questions get answered now... Enjoy!

Cheers,

Drew.
Wow, thargoid superlasers and military anacondas, will we ever see those in the game?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well, now, what a ride!

Fantastic battle, drew - you have no need to worry about writing battle scenes!!

Couple of things though - for one thing, you've now revealled that Thargoids use Quirium based fuel!! And that was a military secret, you naughty boy!! ;)

Federal and Imperial ships don't use quirium - they use a more basic 'hydrogen fuel' that isn't as advanced as quirium (which is why Fed/Imperial engines are safer to use and can be removed and upgraded).

Also, and this is an issue I have with lave.oxp too, Lave has no moon - The Frontier Gazetter states that Lave is one of a group of systems that have one planet, one sun.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

There seems, to me, to be a bit of a discontinuity on how the q-bomb effects normal matter. In the game itself the q-bomb destroys asteroids and unpowered 'stuff', and when it hits these 'non-quirium' items a new cascade is generated. Maybe this shouldn't actually happen.... perhaps only objects containing quirium should create a new cascade.

...Not sure if I can properly reconcile that one, so I've had to take a few liberties with the story. Maybe the q-bomb has a primary effect on quirium and a secondary effect on any other solid matter. If that's the case then it would be able to destroy the thargoid and imperial/federation ships despite the fact they were not Quirium equipped.

:roll: Not great, but it's not 100% clear in my head!

As for the moon, maybe the Lavians imported it from "Murgh's Heavenly Bodies Emporium" :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Bang after bang after bang! :) Makes me want to command a fleet action...

Also, I'm glad "the bomb" has had its wings clipped just a little bit - even if it can take out a Thargoid mothership.
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Very Nice!

Edge-of-the-seat-stuff.

Amusing Star Wars references, too!
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Commodore Sics D'fore wrote:
Amusing Star Wars references, too!
For the film buffs...

The "How many guns can see you see...about 20 guns" one is a 'double-quote'.

It was originally in the black and white film 'The Dambusters'. George Lucas liked it so much he included it in Star Wars Episode IV. If you watch the two films' battle sequences and ignore the primitive special effects of the first, there are remarkable similarities. 8) It's quite wacky to hear that quote from the lead pilot of the Lancaster Bomber!

Cheers,

Drew.

ps.. I've decided, for a desperate attempt at continuity between Elite and FE2/FFE, to make the 'moon' a rogue asteroid captured from the Oort Cloud. It's on an unstable elliptical orbit (taking it close to the Sun at one end of its path) that will result in it being lost back into deep space in a few decades. The Lavians, never ones to pass up a business opportunity, are milking it for whatever they can whilst the opportunity lasts. :lol:
WebsiteFacebookTwitter