Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Stable and Trunk

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Split: Stable and Trunk

Post by mossfoot »

Just out of curiosity, is there going to be a minor update soonish while work towards 1.82 progresses?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Progress

Post by another_commander »

mossfoot wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is there going to be a minor update soonish while work towards 1.82 progresses?
If you mean updates on what is being done, then reading this thread will give you all the information needed. If you mean a new binary release containing what is there for 1.82 up to this point, then no, there is not going to be one until 1.82 is declared feature complete and production-ready. Still. you can download nightly builds for your operating system at any time and see what progress is being made. Usual disclaimers apply - nightlies are for testing purposes and correspond to cutting-edge development, could run fine today and be horribly broken and non-functional tomorrow. Check the stickies in the subforum corresponding to your OS for more info about this.
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Ah, I had heard of a possible "bugfix" edition would be in the offing in the meantime.

I am tempted to get one of the nightly builds but am always wary of such things. ;)
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

mossfoot wrote:
Ah, I had heard of a possible "bugfix" edition would be in the offing in the meantime.
Ahh, you meant 1.80.1? Yes, but that will be a bug-fix update to 1.80 only. It will not contain any new features that you may see described here. Nightlies are your safest bet if you want a sneak peek of features coming up. The good thing is that they are designed so that you can installl them in parallel with the official 1.80 and remove them whenever you want.
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Im running 1.80 and 1.81 side by side. If trunk breaks I just go back to 1.80, with the same save file and carry on. They don't interfere with each other at all so it's very safe.

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Quick question on that - is there a simple way to allow 1.80 and trunk to share an OXZ set without maintaining two gnustep folders in parallel?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Split: Stable and Trunk

The discussion about trunk and stable is starting to become a bit lengthy, so it's split from Progress, which is the one thread that has to remain as on-topic as we can get it to be.

@Thargoid: Unfortunately at the moment I have no easy way to keep things in one folder and have to maintain two separate ones. If anyone has an idea to make it happen, I would love to know it myself, too.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

On linux and perhaps mac systems you should be able to do this by symlinking each Addons folder into the other Gnustep folder in the appropriate location.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that newer versions of windows also now support symbolic links on NTFS drives but I have no firsthand experience with that, so I don't know if they can be used the same way.
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

On the Mac, if you put your OXPs in the default location (~/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns), they will be shared.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
is there a simple way to allow 1.80 and trunk to share an OXZ set without maintaining two gnustep folders in parallel?
Yes.. it's called a /home based installation in Linux.. :wink:
(but see below for a Windows solution)

In my own case, both versions share the OXPs in /home/diziet/.Oolite/AddOns and they also share the same GNUstep OXZ folder. (unlike with Windows, in a /home install of Linux, GNUstep is not a folder inside the Oolite folder; Oolite is a folder inside the GNUstep folder) OXPs that need to be different (say, AddOns/Config, for example) I install separately in each version's own AddOns folder. If I require that an OXZ be available to one version and not the other, that would go in the version-specific AddOns folder as well.

another_commander wrote:
@Thargoid: Unfortunately at the moment I have no easy way to keep things in one folder and have to maintain two separate ones. If anyone has an idea to make it happen, I would love to know it myself, too.
@ Thargoid and a_c:
For Windows, I suggest you look at this discussion about SymLinking. It should be relatively straightforward to do what you want.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Bangbangduck wrote:
If trunk breaks I just go back to 1.80, with the same save file and carry on.
Do note that we don't guarantee this will work - going from 1.80 to 1.81 should always work, but 1.81 to 1.80 (or more generally any later version to earlier version) may sometimes require manual editing of your savefile.