[Solved] Creating OXZ packages on Mac

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

[Solved] Creating OXZ packages on Mac

Post by maik »

Neither the "Compress" action in Finder from the context menu nor the zip command executed in the Terminal seem to build zip files that Oolite likes (renamed to .oxz). It complains about an invalid manifest.plist on the startup screen (btw, the message in latest.log says that the manifest.plist is missing instead of being invalid).

To verify, I downloaded another OXZ, placed it in AddOns, and Oolite did not complain upon startup. Then I unzipped it, zipped it again, renamed to .oxz and Oolite complained.

I also tried with OXZs where I removed all Mac stuff (using ZipCleaner).

What are other OXP authors on Mac doing to create valid OXZ files?

The machine I'm using is on OS X 10.7.5 (1st generation MacBook Air, cannot be upgraded further).
Last edited by maik on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Creating OXZ packages on Mac

Post by Cody »

Just a thought: is there an outer folder in the .zip? An OXZ must contain only the OXP's files/folders.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

zip on the terminal should work - assuming similar syntax to the Linux command, you should be able to do it with:

Code: Select all

cd myoxp.oxp
zip -9r myoxp.oxz *
If your GUI zip program zips the directory, rather than just its contents, that will cause problems.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

maik wrote:
It complains about an invalid manifest.plist on the startup screen (btw, the message in latest.log says that the manifest.plist is missing instead of being invalid).
That description sounds very much like your OXZ has a "container" folder, within which the files and folders are located, rather than just the files and folders themselves. In other words, it's as Cody and cim describe above.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Thanks for the replies, guys, but no container folder there. Remember, I also tried with a working OXZ to unzip and re-zip and it stopped working.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Problem confirmed on my old MacBook2,1 (also OS X 10.7.5)

<wanders off in search of solution>
maik wrote:
What are other OXP authors on Mac doing to create valid OXZ files?
Are there any? So far, most published OXZs seem to have come from the Windows/Linux world.
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

cim wrote:
zip on the terminal should work - assuming similar syntax to the Linux command, you should be able to do it with:

cd myoxp.oxp
zip -9r myoxp.oxz *
This worked for me, exactly as written above. Maik, did you give this a shot?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Diziet Sma wrote:
cim wrote:

cd myoxp.oxp
zip -9r myoxp.oxz *
This worked for me, exactly as written above. Maik, did you give this a shot?
I did, but will try again
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I uploaded about a dozen ozx files created on the mac.

In the past, I zipped them from the finder and than ran ZipCleaner on it to remove some mac-specific files.

For the new format, I open the old OXP folder, select the content and run the "archive" command from the finder. Than I use ZipCleaner and as last, I changed the extension to oxz.

Most likely error is that you Zipped the enclosing container that the mac creates when unzipping.

I have Macs running 10.6 and 10.9. I think I used both for my uploads.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eric Walch wrote:
Most likely error is that you Zipped the enclosing container that the mac creates when unzipping.
Nope.. I was very particular about only zipping the contents. Oolite would not recognise the OXZ. Zipping from a terminal, as in cim's example, however, worked fine.

I did not, however, run ZipCleaner on it, although that ought not to matter, on the Mac itself, right?

Edit: Ok.. now I'm totally confused.. I did the same thing as before, and this time it worked.. :?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

I can' try but how about Keka?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I did not, however, run ZipCleaner on it, although that ought not to matter, on the Mac itself, right?
In the past I always used a special Zip program to zip the oxp's for distribution that had te option to leave out the Mac specific files. Later on I used the archive function of the Mac itself and than ran ZipCleaner on it to remove the most common Mac specific files that confuse Windows/Linux users.

With the new oxz format, Window users will not that often look into the archive, so won't be confused as much by the extra files. So, it won't be a problem when leaving them in.

We could create a script in appletalk when you drop an oxp on it, it will zip's the content and renames the extension into oxz. (Anyone here that is familiar with applescript?)
Or alternatively, change the source of ZipCleaner so that you can drop an oxp on it and than zips it, cleans it and renames it. (ZipCleaner is open source in obj-C with a licence that would allow it.)
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

Eric Walch wrote:
With the new oxz format, Window users will not that often look into the archive, so won't be confused as much by the extra files. So, it won't be a problem when leaving them in.
Are you sure about that? Seems to me there are rather a lot of people interested in the nitty gritty of how things work in the Oolite community. I doubt that many who would bother to look at the contents of an OXP would be put off by the fact that it's now zipped up into a file... :wink:

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Eric Walch wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Right on the money. Everything works as designed. Nothing to see here.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

maik wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Right on the money. Everything works as designed. Nothing to see here.
Image (Sorry for laughing.. but earlier on you'd insisted that was just what you hadn't done..)

Good to hear you got it worked out, anyways! 8)